Still spoon... “The child badly eats
!“ - this complaint was heard more than once from parents by any children`s doctor. Mothers and fathers have a natural question: why the kid has no appetite? Perhaps, it is sick? How to understand causes of failure from food?we Will begin
with the fact that lack of appetite can be as false - when for lack of appetite there are no objective reasons connected with deterioration in health of the child, and true.manages to Determine by
a true cause of failure from food not always, but to understand whether really the child can or just does not want to eat, it is easy: the main thing - is attentive to observe the kid.
True lack of appetite
the Child as it is strange, can really not want to eat, and it is actually impossible to affect this desire and it is not necessary. Can be the reasons of such phenomenon:
- large volume of the last feeding;
- an insufficient break between feedings. Here it is possible to carry a small break between feeding by a breast and the main feeding (a breakfast, a lunch etc.);
- high-calorific dishes in the last feeding;
- feeling sick of the child (the inflamed gums in the period of a teething, the first hours (days) of an illness of the child respiratory diseases or, on the contrary, the period of recovery, a stomatitis yazvochka in a mouth, a sleep debt etc. hurt and itch) . The main displays of a sharp illness (pain, temperature increase of a body, shortage of oxygen, poisoning with waste products of bacteria and viruses) lead to increase in blood circulation in vitals (a brain, heart, lungs, kidneys), and vessels in “less significant“ bodies (to which intestines belong) are narrowed. With decrease in a blood-groove the vermicular movement (physical activity) of intestines is slowed down and production of intestinal enzymes decreases. The frequent satellite of any children`s illness influencing appetite - “a syndrome of the angry intestines“ or disorder of intestines (a diarrhea, pain and a meteorizm). The main “anti-infectious“ fight is developed in a liver - the most important body of system of digestion: in it various poisons and toxins are neutralized and removed from the blood course. At a sharp infection load of a liver is high, and loss of appetite is protective reaction of an organism;
- various functional diseases zheludochno - an intestinal path (for example, a lock). As a result of diseases zheludochno - an intestinal path liberation of a stomach from the next usual portion of food (and this indispensable condition of emergence of desire is) is slowed down from - for the reduced secretion of digestive enzymes;
- a lack of time (is less than 5 - 7 days) allowed for accustoming to firm or any other food, excellent on a consistence from breast milk or mix;
- insufficient number of teeth (it is difficult to chew food);
- individual intolerance of a concrete product (often semolina and gerkulesovy porridges, fish, vegetables, etc. get to “black list“) ;
- the psychoinjuring situations. The child can refuse food, suffering jealousy of the new brother or the sister, or suffering from the conflict in materinsko - the children`s relations, arisen from - for absence of mother nearby, or, for example, as a result of change of the nurse. Also other reasons are possible.
and it is connected with his feeling sick, urgently address the doctor. Lack of remarks from the doctor has to suggest an idea that a problem not in your child, and in incorrectly organized day regimen.If you force the child something to eat
against his physiological opportunities, it can have a vomiting as a protective reflex from a reforage. In case of frequent repetitions of such situations there is a reaction fixing, and further vomiting can arise from a type of any food!
What is norm?
at once to remove the question connected with the volume of food and time of feeding, we will give norm indicators by which most of pediatricians is guided (see the table). Let`s note that data are provided for the average child and do not consider specific features of separately taken kid, i.e. the constitutional features, a floor, physical development (its growth and weight), physical activity, intensity of production of hormones and feature of a metabolism. Besides, these norms of volume are fair for the balanced diet which includes all groups of products recommended for this age.
|Age of the child, month.||the Single volume of a diet, ml||diet Volume in days, ml|
|6 - 9||160 - 180||800 - 900|
|9 - 12||180 - 250||900 - 1000|
|12 - 18||250 - 300||1000 - 1200|
|18 - 36||300 - 400||1200 - 1600|
False lack of appetite
Is about cases when lack of appetite is not connected neither with specific feature of a metabolism, nor with production of hormones, nor with presence of any diseases at the kid. Refusal of food in this case can be connected or with violation of a diet, or with violation of the mode of physical activity, or with violation of temperature condition, - i.e. the parameters influencing “way of life“ of the baby. On these situations not only it is possible, but also it is necessary to influence. Among the reasons resulting in lack of appetite can be:
- various objects which are present at the time of feeding in sight of the kid and distracting his attention from feeding;
- earlier created habit is under certain conditions (“under the TV“, with the book, the fairy tale, etc.);
- of sweet, eaten in an interval between feedings (candy, cookies, drying, chocolate etc.) ;
- insufficient physical activity of the child (moves a little, walks a little);
- violation of a diet (if, for example, instead of habitual porridge for breakfast gave soup or vegetable puree with meat);
- the improper temperature of the offered dish (too hot or, on the contrary, cold);
- violation or non-compliance with a habitual day regimen (for example, attempts to feed the child in “sleepy“ time).
a problem of selective appetite after 1 year more often, by this time the kid already acquired some baggage of “flavoring knowledge“. Many children become more legible in food after 1 year because at this time they reduce rate of a set of weight in comparison with the first year of life. The child shows preference to some certain products that can reflect the valid requirement of an organism. So, for example, many children refuse vegetable dishes, preferring to them dairy which contain calcium, necessary for growth of bones and teeth. To define what moves desires of the kid, it is simple. If he prefers to morning porridge cottage cheese, then it is possible to make such concession, but if the peanut persistently shows on a box with sweet cookies, without agreeing to eat soup, then it is better to show patience and to feed the child with healthy food.by
Why at some children forms such stereotype of behavior? Insufficient time for accustoming to firm or any other food, excellent on a consistence from milk happens the reason often.
How to cope with “small appetite“?the concern of mother about it is frequent
But what was the initial reason of loss of appetite and arrangements only worsen business as at the child the negative conditioned reflex on feeding with arrangements is formed and fixed that prevents natural return of appetite.
At any age the organization and observance of a day regimen is important. The accurate change of the periods of feeding, wakefulness and a dream established by you taking into account features of your kid will allow the child to develop reactions, necessary for life, and reflexes, to keep and strengthen health.is recommended to Begin with
a feeding up from 6 months: at this age the child eats on average 5 times a day, with breaks at 4 o`clock. From 9 - 10 months the number of feedings begins to decrease gradually to 4 in days, i.e. smoothly refuse night feeding. The break between feedings during the day makes from 3,5 to 4 hours. For the child till 1 year the daily volume of food after introduction of a feeding up has to make no more than 1 liter. The kid grows, and the day regimen gradually changes. Right after 1 year feeding frequency usually remains to the same, as on 12 - m month - four times feeding with 4 - hour intervals. Night feeding is cancelled. However if the kid has a shortage of weight or it is weakened and it has a small appetite, it is better to leave night feeding till 1,5 years.
the Main objective of parents of the sick child - as often as possible to give to drink to him (such mode of drink does not suit the children having a serious illness of heart and kidneys), but not to force it to drink at once 2 - 3 glasses of liquid (that can provoke vomiting), and to offer gradually, on 20 - 30 ml (1 - 2 tablespoons) warmed up and not carbonated mineral water, tea, a fruit drink, kissel, juice, broth of herbs or even just water each 10 - 15 minutes.
As for food, approaches any easily acquired food which is not irritating mucous a mouth and a stomach (semi-fluid porridges, easy vegetable broths, kefir, milk) here. It is necessary to give food gradually more often than usually (in 1,5 - 2 hours). It is impossible to feed the child violently and in this case: the actions you not only can cause in it negative emotions, but also aggravate a course of disease, having forced a sick organism to spend precious forces for digestion of food, but not for fight against an infection. At improvement of a state and normalization of body temperature the child himself will ask to eat.
Hours of feedings of the child have to be constants. The organism gets used to re - to a press and at the scheduled time begins to produce digestive juice, in such conditions digestion happens more effectively. Deviations are possible for 15 - 30 minutes. Feedings can change intervals depending on duration of a day and night dream, and also from physical activity of the child.
the Diet after introduction of a feeding up: a breakfast - at 8 - 9 o`clock, a lunch - at 12 - 13 o`clock, an afternoon snack - in 16 - 16. 30, and a dinner - at 19 - 20 o`clock. Try to avoid “having a snack“ between feedings. However, and there has to be an individual approach. If the child cannot sustain the put time between meals, then it is possible to arrange “having a snack“ during which to offer the kid the products causing short-term feeling of saturation - fruit or kefir. And here you should not give pies or sweet cookies to children in breaks between feedings: these are high-calorific products, from - for whom the child can really refuse a lunch or a dinner.
Several practical advice
- be not nervous and provide training on calm of the members of household (especially grandmothers)! The main thing - everything that you do, do with a smile. The child as a result has to understand that feeding is not punishment and not torture, but tasty and interesting pastime. If you told
- to the child asking a roll or candy “no“, it means “no“. Be consecutive in the actions - indulgences do not have the place.
- do not bribe the child candies, animated films, fairy tales and representations. Any arrangements, eventually, reduce appetite even more, though it seems that at present the child eats willingly and behind songs and dancings will imperceptibly swallow a couple of excess spoons. Further parents should increase bribery to receive desirable result. Finally and such methods can cease to help. Try not to discuss in no shape or form with the child his appetite - neither in the form of threats, nor in the form of encouragement. When the child feels that on him nobody presses, he will begin to eat as it befits.
- Forget talk of your girlfriends on that how many the child eats them. Another, he has your child the intensity of a metabolism and, respectively, the need for food.
- needs to observe a diet strictly: to feed the child at the same time. If it is not possible to do without having a snack, then let it will be unsweetened apples, a segment of tangerine, orange (of course if the kid has on them no allergy). It is desirable to avoid the use of any sweet fruit and products (pastries, chocolate, sweet juice). during the day should not be
- of Restriction in liquid! Only in 30 - 40 minutes before food not to dampen ardor, it is better to give nothing. As an exception, for example, if the child was run or came from walk and very much wants to drink, offer usual water. Offer
- the dishes corresponding to a day regimen (or their easy option: for example, instead of vegetable soup favourite vegetables of the kid). Awaken
- the child has a desire. For this purpose put it with yourself at a table more often (instead of separate feedings). The child has to see how family members handle food that they eat with appetite and it is pleasant to them. Most often happens so that the child just observes some time (it is necessary to offer it without its request nothing), and then - sometimes through couple of joint lunches, sometimes in several days - begins to ask to give also to it. Dishes which will act as “bait“ in parental plates have to be adapted for a children`s stomach: if the child wants to take a piece from your plate, it is necessary that you could give it bravely (for example, mashed potatoes and boiled chicken).
- Organize for the baby the special place for food - the little table for feeding can be excellent help. Children`s tableware (plate, spoon, fork, knife) will cause a particular interest in process of absorption of food in the kid. Sometimes causes a great interest in children parental ware (a mother`s cup or a father`s plate) - it is possible, from parental “magic“ ware the food will be more tasty.
- Try to give to dishes an appetizing look. It is possible to draw attention of the kid to the prepared dish and by means of plain jewelry: leaves of parsley, branches of fennel, lemon segment. It is also possible to cut out geometrical figures from pieces of vegetables: circles, small squares, triangles. is more senior than
- of Kids it is possible to involve in cooking process, then they okhotny will agree to eat that they helped to prepare. If the child knows vegetables and fruit, suggest him “to make“ to yourself a dish.
- Miss the next feeding if the child refuses meal. Before the feeding following on the mode of nothing high-calorific dampening ardor give. The child can refuse flatly all offered dishes, but even in this case do not insist; instead of feeding give it more liquid.
- do not put the child at a table right after active game. And of course, do not try to feed the child running on the apartment: such race will not lead to anything good. Moreover, it can be hazardous to health of your kid: it is possible to choke with food easily. Try that the child calmed down, and for this purpose play with him before feeding quiet game or read 10 - 15 minutes the book.
- Offer the baby a breakfast (or an afternoon snack) only after full awakening (right after a dream the child is in a dozing state) i.e. after the kid actively joins in a day regimen: will wash, will put on, sometimes - will a little play. It is possible to offer the kid two breakfasts: the first - children`s tea, the divorced juice or compote of a srthe storage after awakening, and the second - something more essential: porridge, omelet, cottage cheese. Keep in mind that lunch time in that case can be removed a little (for example if the kid had the first breakfast in 9. 30, and the second in 10. 15, the lunch can be in 14. 00 or the child can prefer to sleep at this time, and to have dinner after a dream). Change
- the mode of feeding of the child in hot days. At this time children as practice shows, refuse the offered food, and there is it because at excess loss of liquid production of digestive enzymes reflex decreases. In the period of a midday heat offer the kid not a lunch, but the second breakfast (for example, kefir, cottage cheese, easy porridge, fruit, the divorced juice), and after a dream rather got hungry child easily will cope with those dishes which you prepared for it for lunch.
- can apply a method of free feeding To harmonious introduction of a new product to the child`s diet for some time (1,5 - 2 months for children are more senior than 1 year), i.e. to feed the kid only with those dishes which cause in it positive emotions. Further gradually (without focusing on it attention of the child) change structure of dishes, adding necessary products. During this period the diet of the child happens poor (for example, the kid eats only a cauliflower and a piece of white loaf, and neither cottage cheese, nor a piece of firm cheese cause in it trust), respectively, also the set of the nutrients arriving with food will be defective. For the balanced food of the kid it is necessary to give vitaminno - mineral complexes which the doctor has to recommend.
once again: to awaken appetite in the kid, his parents need to stock up with patience. You do not become angry about the baby, but at the same time do not indulge its whims - and the result will not keep itself waiting.