Children at the screen: for or against?
A few years ago on Ostankino Television Tower there was a strong fire. As a result residents of Moscow and Moscow area for some time were left without television. Air was filled only by pair of advertizing channels. And suddenly parents found: their children began to discuss advantages of irons and laundry detergents. They just could not do without “a magic box“. And to them as it became clear, it was not important that on it show!
- In this history is present nothing surprising, - Natalya Kruglova, the educational psychologist of the Center of the psychologist - the physician - social maintenance considers “Yasenevo“. - At younger school age the main way of development for children is communication. But for it subjects are necessary. It is possible to discuss with friends the book or travel, of course. But for this purpose it is necessary to read something or somewhere to go. And that friends read and went. It is difficult. Therefore the TV - the simplest and available source of subjects. It is watched by all. And who does not look, feels like the black sheep: it cannot adjoin fans “Houses - 2“, for example. And he has nothing to talk to admirers “Simpsonov“. And here it any more not as all. It is lonely. Intolerable feeling for the child!
Moreover - the TV turns into the main adviser. It forms stereotypes of a family, friendship, pastime. And the child does not know convention - he literally takes everything that sees and hears. Television heroes for it are real characters. And their way of life, tastes, addictions, a manner of the speech become for it a standard.
A still the TV explains that it is ridiculous and that is not present. It is enough to look at programs with offscreen laughter.
generally, it is necessary to recognize: the TV is a powerful tool in hands of adults. But at inept application it has destructive force. And in the Center from time to time parents take it to us the victims.
of TV - the victim
Seven-year-old Sasha does not allow mother to switch off the TV for a minute. And when she all - insists on the, breaks in a hysterics, “shoots“ at it a finger, throws everything that comes hand... Egor, having hardly become the first grader, picked up the two. He does not want and cannot do homework: only enters the house, it utykatsya at once in the screen... The second-grader Yulya watched the horror film and now one is afraid to remain in the room and to sleep without light... Who is guilty of all this?
After conversation with the psychologist a lot of things cleared up. The father Yuli is the admirer of horror films, and he decided to acquaint the daughter with a favourite genre of cinema. Mother Sasha and Egor put them in front of the TV when boys were still absolutely babies. So children did not prevent them to go about the own business... Yes, Egor`s mother noticed that he sits in front of the TV longer and longer, but hoped: the son will go to school, and on time “box“ just will not remain. And now it turned out that it cannot elementary concentrate on study!
- whether Can help these children? - Natalya Kruglova argues. - Of course, it is possible. Sometimes for this purpose there are enough efforts of the psychologist, the neurologist is sometimes connected. But, maybe, it is better not to bring to a problem at all?
- Denis for hours stays in front of the TV with the panel in a hand, - mother of the sixth-grader complains. - One transfer comes to an end - switches to another. I ask it to clean the room, to wash the dishes, to read what is set for the summer. And in reply: “Leave alone!“
- Sometimes the TV becomes way to leave from reality for the child, - the psychologist explains. - In its virtual world there are no habitual problems. And even if nothing interesting is shown, it will be just better “to jump“ on channels, than will return to reality. At younger school age the will is not created yet.
- Nyam, nyam, nyam! Buy... - the senior group of kindergarten goes for walk, singing a song from advertizing of sausages. The generation which studies the native language not on Marshak and Bartho`s verses, and on advertizing slogans grows. And, unlike classics, such verses are remembered straight off. The whole field of psychology - advertizing psychology works for it. The best minds investigate in a brain of consumers of “zatsepochka“ who circumvent consciousness. They awake in soul not the most noble aspirations: to be very best (rich, beautiful, successful). They go on:“ You it are worthy! “, “ indulge yourself! “, “ let the whole world will wait!“ Also consolidate effect by a catching combination of words which sometimes has no normal text structure: “Galina Blanca, Boole - Boole!“ Best of all this nonsense is absorbed by children who advertizing slogans just talk! So - guard?
- it is valid, the speech of modern school students dazzles with a slang. And also quotes from advertizing, - Olga Komissarova, the teacher of Russian and literature, the winner of the Moscow competition “The Teacher of Year - 2008“ recognizes. - At the same time, as it seems to me, a task of adults - to set an example to the normal literary speech.
Unfortunately, illiteracy got also on television: in the running news line on public channel it is quite often possible to read something it seems “within a week“, etc. And the speech of announcers is not always competent. But also the TV can be turned into the friend if it is correct to choose what to watch. So, the school program for literature still includes “Quiet Don“, “Klim Samgin`s Life“, “War and peace“... To read these works not to all children in power. So let watch their screen version. It is better, than they will not know at all who such Klim Samgin or, say, Grigory Melekhov. Show on the TV and other qualitative movies, and also transfers about animals, about geographical discoveries...to
of the Child out of “grid“
- their Da almost did not remain - high-quality transfers for children and teenagers! - Yulia Kosareva, the member of the Union of cinematographers, the director of such programs as “Good night, kids is indignant!“ “Alarm clock“, “So far all houses“.
- However, after the Decree of the president on revival of children`s television two children`s channels - “Bibigon“ and “Telenyanya“ - all - appeared. But one is available only by fits: children`s “windows“ on 1 - 2 hour are scattered on several channels, and not in the most rating time. And another in general on satellite TV. Whether many residents of Russia watch it?
And those transfers for children and teenagers who all - exist deprive of the audience of active viewing. That is do not force to think, analyze - everything is already chewed, and ready answers are presented on a silver platter. And from genres there were only games and current - show... But about 15 years ago on television there were many excellent children`s programs. Remember at least “Alarm clock“. Eduard Uspensky, Grigory Oster were authors of the program. Music to it was written by Maxim Dunayevsky, Vladimir Shainsky, Alexey Rybnikov. Such stars as Andrey Mironov, Leonid Bronevoy, Vitaly Solomin, Alexander Abdulov considered it as honor to participate in shootings... I remember, Oleg Popov just demanded that he was invited! And on my question: “What for?“ - answered frankly: “Thanks to “Alarm clock“ children will get used to me and then will come to my performances!“ But children`s TV - business very expensive. It is necessary to do everything as for adults, it is only better: scenario, scenery... And music has to be special - written especially for children. As a result today one children`s program costs at least 15 - 20 thousand dollars. Where to take them?
Hypocrisy - down with!
of the Program for adults survive on advertizing. And in children`s transfers it is forbidden. Some deputy of the State Duma blurted out that children and advertizing - it is incompatible. What hypocrisy! Except advertizing of beer and means of hygiene there is a ridiculous, touching family advertizing. Quite pertinent and in children`s programs. At the same time the state is not ready to invest money in children`s TV. Though television as nobody, it is capable to bring up! I remember, Valentina Leontyeva told me how once she sat down in a taxi, and the taxi driver declared to her: “You - our rescue!“ It turned out that as soon as his little son begins to be capricious, mother promises “to call the aunt Wal“. And it for the child - the most terrible threat! The aunt Valya is an authority. The child does not want to afflict her and therefore does everything that is demanded by adults!
Myths and reality
- that the TV is harmful, say at polls nearly of 100% of parents, - the psychologist Svetlana Iyevleva tells. - But the most widespread answers to the question “Why?“ are such:“ It is known to all “and“ in the childhood forbade me too“. That is we tell to children the same that spoke once to us - can therefore even the mobile phone is considered less harmful “toy“, than the TV. It is that to us parents did not forbid... Of course, to claim that it is useful to watch TV and it is necessary to do it as often as possible, it would be ridiculous. A question more likely in to what to compare such pastime. If instead of the TV you offer the child active games in the fresh air, informative and interesting actions or pleasant conversations in a warm family circle - it, of course, can be considered as care about health and development. But often parents have absolutely other motives. And, by the way, one of leaders - usual irritation from a look of anything doing the child. “The whole day sits, changes channels... Go better to the room, be engaged in something useful“, - mother says. And answers his discontent with the natural phrase:“ To watch TV harmfully“. But literally a few years ago, when the child was 5 - 6 years old and he asked parents to go for a walk with him, to read or build the house of the designer, ourselves suggested it to be engaged in something independently and turned on the TV that though to stay a little in silence.
And some concrete “charges“ to TV are unfair and undeserved too.
- the TV interferes with development of the child. But the general awareness is formed, mostly, at the expense of various technical means and mass media. And this knowledge exerts impact on development of thinking and intelligence rather is its component. They promote development of representation and imagination. the TV prevents
- direct communication. Of course, correlation is. The more the child watches TV, the less he communicates with peers. But communication - rather return, and it is worth perceiving the TV an indicator of already available difficulties in communication. Friends, games, communication - any child will not exchange it for viewing of transfers alone. So if keen interest in the TV is combined with a lack of communication - think better of how to help the child to develop the social abilities. the TV overloads with
- mentality. Even the adult is not able to digest such amount of information - what to tell about children! But we also do not perceive it. Resources of attention are not boundless, and excess information is eliminated by itself. Even if the TV is turned on all day, we regard it just as a background and we select only information, significant for ourselves.
- the TV conflicts to educational norms. “As it is possible to inspire feelings of good, justice when on the screen it is created!“ Really, we are not able to control everything that is offered by television and to select plots voluntarily. But we remain significant people for the child, and everything that occurs in surrounding life, he since the earliest childhood perceives through a prism of our views. Whatever a pokazyvalina the screen - in comparison with education of parents action of it is insignificant a little. And if to speak about reliable perception of the world, then television plots - an excellent opportunity for discussion in the bosom of the family and a way to know the child better.