Grant: receive and study!
Study abroad are not only new knowledge, impressions and opportunities. As a rule, it also solid tuition fee. Whether there is a chance not to pay? Is - to get a grant.
So, you decided to get a grant and to subdue, by all means, Cambridge or Sorbonne. So grandiose action demands the corresponding preparation. In what fund or the organization you did not address, everywhere will demand a clear idea from you for what you need a grant and what far-reaching aims you with its help pursue. Therefore before beginning searches of suitable fund or the scholarship program, answer (better in writing) two questions:to What you will study
?Should decide by
accurately on specialty (and its name), and also on a subject of the diploma which you will prepare in the course of study. The same who is going to be engaged abroad in scientific researches need to submit to the relevant organization the accurate and thought-over name of a subject of scientific researches, and also the detailed description of what is planned to be undertaken for achievement of scientific result.In what country to study
the Choice of the country of training can depend, first of all, on as far as in it the field of knowledge interesting you is developed. Also important will be also what foreign language you know.Practically all programs impose on
to applicants two main requirements: good academic progress and knowledge of language. Therefore it is worth thinking of progress and obtaining the international certificate confirming level of proficiency in language. Existence of such document - not always an indispensable condition of receiving a grant, however, in any western higher education institution or postgraduate study irrespective of who you will finance official confirmation of language knowledge is necessary for receipt.Search
- autobiographical data;
- it is accurate and legible the written address leaf.
of the Organizations, providing grants, there is a lot of. First of all, it is the foreign state organizations, national programs and funds. The first are not limited to any one field of knowledge and can cover humanitarian, natural-science and economic disciplines. Often they are patronized by the government of this or that country or act on behalf of its scientific community. For example, Gustav Eifel`s grant for graduate students aged till 35 years can be got, having addressed to department of culture and scientifically - technical cooperation of Embassy of France.
In turn, the German Service of the Academic Exchange (DAAD) gives an opportunity to participate in the most different programs, whether it be “Annual grants for students of a third year of economic specialties“ or the grants “Mikhail Lomonosov“ calculated on the Russian graduate students of technical disciplines.
the French analog - DAAD EduFrance providing information about free - the Russian programs differing both on specialties and for education level of alleged applicants (students, graduate students, etc.)the funds which are not attached so rigidly to a certain group of the countries Are extended by
. They carry out “delivery“ of students in universities of the different countries of the world. Their purposes can essentially differ. So, Ford`s Fund seeks to level at the same time educational opportunities, paying special attention applicants from the province or experiencing these or those difficulties with education (for example, refugees). And here the German Fund of Conrad Adenauyer tries to stimulate political activity of students of the different countries.
One more opportunity to receive financial aid - nominal grants. For example, the Austrian grant of Ernst Makh for university graduates is given for a period of 2 - x to 9 - ti months. The form of the statement for receiving this grant can be taken in representations of the Republic of Austria or to unpack from the website www. oead. ac. at.Motivation
Granting any grant is based by
on a competition - competition in which the most purposeful becomes the winner. Not without reason, besides “the academic progress“ and knowledge of language, grantors especially appreciate ambition of applicants. In practice all this means need to prove that you are worthy to receive this money. For this purpose organizers suggest to write the motivational letter or the small essay in which it is necessary to present all the achievements, advantages and educational or scientific plans. The last implies accurately formulated purpose of your stay in university of this or that country. by
Besides, the attention is paid also to so-called social activity of the applicant - his ability to show leader and organizing abilities. Therefore it would be quite good to have experience of volunteer work in summer camps, social projects or the ecological organizations. At the worst it is possible to point to active participation in public life of native higher education institution.
Stages of a big way
If you do not break on a preparatory work - safely begin to take practical steps:Learn
- of in advance terms of holding a competition. Often start falls on the middle of fall. Information can be obtained in representative offices of funds and the organizations, on the Internet or print media. Submit
- the application and all necessary documents. It can be made personally, having brought them in office of the company or having sent with the courier or by mail. In electronic form or by fax official papers most often are not accepted. Remember that at a selection stage correctly made application - your second person. From that, how precisely you carry out all instructions and requirements, further participation in the program depends.
- Prepare that the competition is carried out in several steps. Consideration of the provided documents by the commission and selection of candidates for interview - only “semi-final“. After interviewing which can include the test for knowledge of a foreign language documents of applicants - “finalists“ go to head office of the company. There also is their final statement. Thus, the competition can drag on for four months.
- before study complete, as necessary, short-term foreign language courses. Most often they are organized by the program already on the place, that is in the country of training if, of course, a certain level of knowledge was not the integral condition of the participation in a competition.
Actually, the essence of a grant is that the organization allocates to the winner of a competition the determined, in advance determined sum (for example, the Chevening program is ready to provide to scholars 20 000 pounds sterling). First of all these means go for training payment. Besides, the organization often undertakes also all expenses connected with accommodation, food and air flights of the student.
However receiving a grant not always means that you automatically will be enlisted on this or that course of foreign university. Often the student is offered most to pass entrance tests on an equal basis with other entrants. So, Ford`s Fund gives to applicants one year on delivery of the corresponding examinations. In case of failure the grant responds.the Choice of concrete universities usually remains to
for organizers of the program. Their list can be designated in advance, in starting conditions of receiving a grant. Such rule is established, for example, for the participants of the project of a student`s exchange and the scholarship program of Edmund Muskie existing under the direction of the American Council for the international researches and exchanges (IREX). Only the universities approved by US State department and IREX have the right to accept participants of the program of a student`s exchange. The educational institution is selected according to specialization of the participant.
the Documents attached to the application for a grant (for students):
- the application on the form (questionnaire) of the organization (most often it is possible to download on the grantor`s website)
- the certified copy of the school certificate and the record book (perhaps, translated into the English or other language)
- letters of recommendation (usually, two or three)
- the motivational letter or the small essay explaining why you have to be there
the Documents attached to the application for a grant (for graduate students):
- the copy of the diploma (certainly, with excellent or good marks)
- documentary assurance of experience on the chosen specialty (term can usually vary 1 - 2 years)
- the statement for scientific intentions, the list of publications, the invitation from the scientist in foreign higher education institution (specific conditions depend on the program)
- letters of recommendation from educational institution and from the place of work.