Notes: how to derive the maximum benefit from a short-term educational tour of
If you plan to improve the level of proficiency in a foreign language at one of foreign language schools and want to derive the maximum benefit from your trip, then it will be interesting to you to learn that there are several easy ways to achieve it.
a success Formula
As a rule, students, I come - shchy the first time to the country of the learned language, several days spend for getting used to the unfamiliar cultural and language environment. There passes week (in certain cases even more) before the foreign language stops being an obstacle for communication. And communication, use of language in dialogues, in real life situations also does training at foreign language school by the major element in the general process of studying of language.
the Key factor allowing to achieve the maximum results in a short space of time is quality of your preliminary preparation. Thus, it is easy to remove a formula of your success: the better you are prepared for your trip, the you will achieve big results for a certain period of time.Stock up with
with patience, define time which you devote to preparation for a trip, and make active that knowledge which you already possess by the present moment. This is not about that in a month before a trip to learn one thousand new words or to pass several tens unknown to you grammatical rules. But, having refreshed in memory of knowledge which you already possess, you will be able actively to improve practical skills of language proficiency from the first days of stay in the country, to participate in dialogues, without feeling any discomfort.
Apply an integrated approach, try to use various means helping you with development of these or those skills - old - tes to make training various and interesting. It will help you to devote more time to occupations, without testing at the same time tension, and at the same time you will be able to seize ability to perceive language in different situations as it and occurs actually.
without carrying out division into levels of knowledge of language, preparation can be divided conditionally on practical and theoretical. For successful preparation you will need to concentrate efforts on each of these two components.Practical skills
how the juggler makes the work? You know HOW it does it? It throws balls in air one hand, another catches them and then throws balls in a free hand which in turn again throws balls in air. Try to repeat it now as the juggler, for example, with three balls does. And with five? You know how it does it. Theoretically in it there is nothing difficult, but to you to repeat this number, it is necessary to be trained fairly. In other words - to gain practical skill.In the same way at development of language to you not only knowledge, but also skills of communication, that is confidence are necessary for
when using language. Only having gained sufficient experience, you will be able to use language as the tool as means for achievement of the purpose during communication.Practical preparation we will call
development of each of four key skills of language proficiency:
- ability to read,
- ability to write,
- ability to speak,
- ability to perceive the speech aurally.
ways of development of each of four skills - use of these technologies Exist and will provide success of your practical preparation.
Here some of ways which will allow you, without leaving own country, to adequately develop each of the listed skills separately in order that then, having appeared in the country of the learned language, to get the most necessary - to learn to put gained skills and knowledge into practice in real situations, without experiencing at the same time any difficulties.
1) we Develop skills of reading and the letter. is present no new cunnings Here, except about what you already know. In order that process of training became the most effective, it needs to be made various and interesting. Try to use all possible approaches and means capable to recover process of training and to make it the most natural. Together with reading books you can read newspapers and magazines - try to choose those subjects which really interest you, and you are surprised to how much you understand from read. As for development of skills of the letter, for this purpose it is possible to use the computer, the Internet or just paper with the handle. You can make business letters, using the existing samples, or to write stories, having taken as a basis of 2 - 3 already existing. Having changed some details and grammatical designs, you receive the new story. The most important that you in this case will gain necessary practical experience. Only practice will provide you sure use of those words and grammatical designs on which storing you already spent a lot of time.
2) Development of skill of perception of the speech aurally. to learn to understand the English speech aurally, it is necessary to listen as much as possible. For this purpose radio - in case of English, for example, World Service Air Force (this radio can be caught on average waves), satellite television, for example, TV Space, video lessons recorded with audio cassettes texts and exercises, and, of course, - modern computer programs will approach. Small cunning: for achievement of the best results it is necessary to combine it is adapted - the speech, ny to your level (to audio - cartridges, videocourses, computer programs) with the live foreign speech (radio, TV). Thus, you, on the one hand, gain skill of recognition aurally of words famous to you and grammatical designs, on the other hand, you gain skill of perception of normal tempo of speech - gradually the speech at normal speed will become same clear for you, as well as recorded or a disk a training course. Sets this example why it is necessary to use various tutorials in a complex, but not to give preference to one of them.
3) Skill of a pronunciation. to gain skill of a pronunciation of words and offers, it is necessary to say as much as possible - gradually you learn to speak fluently and correctly. The technology of imitation will serve to you good service again: it is possible to use the course recorded with the audio cassette or the computer program. It is important that this course (or the program) was focused on your level. Small cunning: it is good if you manage to find such course which except that will contain a necessary mere verbiage and grammatical designs, will be written down with pauses between phrases. During these pauses you will be able to repeat after the announcer of the word or offer - it will help you to develop a sure pronunciation. Repetition - very good exercise providing you an opportunity to train and perception of the speech aurally, and a pronunciation, both to repeat grammar and to make active a lexicon. The course subjects will be more various, the it will be more interesting to you to work with it.
! On development of skills of perception of the speech aurally and skill of a pronunciation should pay special attention as first of all they will provide successful adaptation to the language environment.Theoretical preparation
Theoretical preparation we will call
a complex of knowledge of the learned language: grammar, lexicon, and also knowledge of country geography, its political system, traditions, cultural features. To ensure good theoretical preparation, pay attention to the following:
1) Refresh in memory of knowledge of grammar. needs It at once to learn designs in oral speech and from the first days of stay in the country not to feel discomfort taking part in daily talk. Use the good grammatical reference book, for example Grammar in Use, Oxford University Press (in case you learn English) where you will find not only rules of the English grammar, but also the mass of examples of their use. This reference book is issued in several separate books; in each of books the grammar of various levels of complexity is covered. Choosing a grant, be convinced that it corresponds to the level of knowledge of language which you know at the moment. Otherwise occupations or will not bring you notable benefit (in case level is underestimated), or will force you to doubt the abilities while stage-by-stage, structured dv - the zheniye not only will not weaken your interest, but also will provide you necessary confidence in own forces.
2) Remember words which you already know within your level of proficiency in language. If you acquire the grammatical reference book according to the level of your knowledge, then using this reference book you repeat the majority of the words studied by you, plus, perhaps, learn several new. If you read several books adapted for your level of proficiency by language about history, geography, political system of the country of the learned language, you will be able not only to make active your lexicon, but also to gain knowledge necessary for you for creation of dialogues.
3) Learn as much as possible about the country in which you should appear. So far you are at home, write down questions which at you to appear, and, being in the country studied language try to find the answer to each of them. If you choose the subject which is rather interesting you, time of stay in the country will turn for you into fascinating research. Subjects can be any - depending on your interests: ways of training in language, business, history, literature and t. . Regardless of level of proficiency in language you can become the interesting interlocutor if you are sincerely interested in people and the country in which they live.
If you are a pupil of a special school or the student of language higher education institution, that is that for whom the foreign language is a specialist subject, then regular trainings and permanent job over development of key language skills is the best practical preparation what can be imagined. But even in this case it will be extremely useful to make the list of the subjects and questions interesting you, answers to which you could receive during your trip. For those who know language rather well it can become not only useful in respect of receiving additional colloquial practice, but also will allow you to broaden the horizons, to increase the professional level, to lay the foundation for successful career.
Think what people you would like to meet. Where you could meet these people? Could are interested in you they so that they would like to plan a meeting with you in advance? Here everything depends on you and on your desire to interact with people and to find with them common interests.
The better you will think over subjects for your dialogues, the list of questions made by you on each of interesting you by what more previously you will collect information on each problem interesting you will be fuller, the more interestingly and more briskly there will be your conversations and the results will be higher. And if besides to you it is possible to plan correctly your trip, then you can consider that you did everything possible to derive the maximum benefit from it.
Anyway, the most important component of your success is your own interest which can give you the best support when using any tutorials in any situation if you develop in yourself this interest and send it to the necessary course.can be found
of the Offer on studying of English in the English-speaking countries here.
Makhail Kudryavtsev, material is provided by educational agency “STUDY flight“.