Errors of youth
Fluent English, the “red“ diploma of the most elite higher education institution and the influential father do not guarantee that the newly-baked expert will not commit follies at employment. What typical mistakes of yesterday`s graduates?
Having interrogated representatives of HR - departments of the large companies and recruitment agencies, having analysed data of researches of labor market for 2003-2005 (the materials “ANCHOR“, Graduate, E - xecutive, by Kelly Services CIS are used), we made a peculiar arch of widespread punctures young (and not only young people) experts. Of course, they are related not to all beginning careerists, and shortcomings of high school preparation are the reason of “youth errors“ often. But - having ears yes will hear. Also will draw conclusions.you will be responsible
For the summary
how many times went on to the world that grants on sculpture of the correct summary (CV, from armor. curriculum vitae - “the life course“) thousands and that not poorly to study a couple before starting writing. But - uselessly. Unsophisticated applicants still “please“ personnel officers with the following mistakes:
- of the Summary does not give in to reading: it is made in any form, exotic fonts and codings are used, volume occupies several pages;
- do not have coordinates for feedback; by
- of the Summary it is not structured, the name of the diploma lies in “one heap“ with transfer of hobbies and data on presence of relatives abroad;
- of the Place of work and posts are listed through a comma, there is no description of the carried-out functions (if the graduate already has experience), there is no mention of the available achievements;
- the Declared data are not true - the administrative director when checking appears the simple assistant.
Unpleasant emotions is caused by also mass mailing of the summary - having received same CV several times, the employer understands that the candidate has no job search strategy, to it laziness even to make the list of the organizations which “are made already happy“ with his biography.
Talk to it
the Second circle of hell, a litmus piece of paper of true intentions and abilities - interview. At this stage yesterday`s graduates show:
- Banal bad manners (delay, the switched-on mobile phone);
- Non-compliance elementary dress - a code, untidiness;
- Inability to listen, analyze the heard information, to ask additional questions (it makes impression that to the applicant it is absolutely uninteresting);
- Shyness, a stiffness, inability to put the thoughts into words;
- Illiterate speech, surplus of a slang and filler words;
- Lack of initial information about the potential employer and sphere of his activity;
- the Overestimated “salary“ and “official“ ambitions (“I am interested in vacancy of the head of department with a salary from $800“), especially peculiar to graduates of prestigious higher education institutions. Inability to answer a question: “How many you stand, in your opinion?“
- Incorrect comments on teachers, higher education institution, the former employers if they are available;
- Refusal to discuss last errors, the reasons of leaving from the previous place, concealment of information (“This extremely personal“);
- Inability to answer intelligibly a question: “Why you want to work for us?“
- Inability to react to the elementary provocations in the spirit of:“ Speak, in your higher education institution any “red“ diploma can be bought for $500“
- of Attempt to look more adult, cleverer, is more skilled, the excessive self-advertisement which is not buttressed up by facts (for example, letters of recommendation);
- of Attempt to press on pity: “And where I will go if you do not take me?“
- of Attempt to bribe the HR manager (!), threats in his address with reference to powerful relatives (!!!) ;
- of Attempt to bargain at the end of interview when the decision on hiring is already made.
Besides, specialists in HR are guarded by too zealous desire to receive the place - up to a consent to the underestimated salary. It makes impression that the person is extremely not confident in own forces.
If youth was able...
Often future Jackie Uelsha and Billa Geytsa:
- have the slightest experience and as a result - the elementary practical skills (at least no drawing up business letters); are not able to use
- office office equipment, do not own application computer programs (many the offer to construct the table in Excel and which - who reports that “special people have to be engaged in it“ plunges into a stupor);
- are Badly known by foreign languages (incredibly, but it is the fact!) ;
- are not able to argue with deep arguments the point of view, referring to concrete sources of information (research, reports of the companies and so forth);
- Have extremely weak idea of a condition of labor market: demand and salaries of these or those experts, their duties;
- Can be strong in the theory, but are not able to put knowledge into practice, are not capable to solve the elementary business - a case; Are passive
- , are not mobile, are not ready to business trips and overtime; Want to work with
- only in the largest, famous multinational companies by the principle: “to be hooked for a brand, and further as it will turn out“
- Are guided first of all by a compensation package (a salary, bonuses, an insurance, mobile), are not capable to estimate prospects and content of work.
One more shortcoming of young specialists - inability to answer distinctly a question:“ In what area you would like to work and why?“ The answer “So far I look for myself and I consider offers in the field of marketing, PR and HR“ is admissible only in case the student looks for the place for temporary training. But any employer interested in the constant employee will not take the person who in three months will leave “to look for himself“ in other sphere.
What it is good?here the list of qualities and abilities which pacify and please with
A potential bosses:
- Naturalness, relaxedness, honesty (in this case it is simpler to personnel officer to make true idea of the applicant and to pick up to it the suitable place);
- Ability to work in team and organizing abilities, leader inclinations (“experience“ as the head of group, participation in conferences, seminars, KVNs - generally, active living position is welcomed);
- Desire to study on a profile of the company, to improve own skills in free from work (read - personal) time; Initiative, lack of fear “to process“
- , ability to quickly make the decision in difficult situations, to take the responsibility.