As the book rescued the temple of
of the Ancient Tverskaya the tragic fate to become the first street reconstructed by the notorious Master plan of socialist reconstruction of Moscow dropped out. Tverskaya Street lost then not only the primordial name, but also the original Moscow person. Prechistenka, Ostozhenka and many other Moscow small streets the bulky same buildings which - are ruthlessly straightened, expanded, built up had to become such.with
war Interfered, if I may say so, repartition. Were destroyed or reconstructed to unrecognizability and much representing culturally - historical value of the house, some of them are moved in depth of the yards. In the Tverskaya there is no church left (under some certificates, destroyed about 40 temples and chapels). There is also no remarkable Passionate monastery which was on that place where now there is a monument to A.S. Pushkin any more. And all - one temple escaped - at the very beginning of Stoleshnikov Lane, near a monument to Yury Dolgorukov - the ancient Moscow temple of Saint disinterested persons Cosmas and Damian in Choubin.
the First mention of church contains in the Sofia vremennik of 1368 where it appears that Dmitry Donskoy`s voivode “Iakinf Shuba had the yard about the Tverskaya, founded church of the name of Iakinf, in it then Cosmas and Damian`s second side-altar was“ on which the name of Kosmodamiansky was strongly assigned to the temple.
A little history
B 1626 on the place of the burned-down wooden temple began to build the new stone temple. From this year it is also registered in receipt - expenses books of the Patriarchal order.
By the beginning of the XVIII century the building of the temple decayed, and in 1703 its capital reorganization began.
Till 1785. the temple several times burned and was again restored, same year in church repair was made, walls are newly painted, the old iconostasis was replaced by new.
B 1812 when French entered Moscow, Cosmas and Damian`s temple in Choubin by miracle remained in the all-Moscow fire and was not even while all suffered plundered.
the Regent of the temple in 1910 - 1920 - x years.
B the temple was closed 1929, in 1932 - 1933 the belltower was destroyed to the second tier. Any of invaluable relics did not remain. Nearby, closely to the temple, the high house with Aragvi restaurant into which turned the former hotel “Dresden“ is attached.
at the end of 1950 - x years the temple was supposed to be demolished completely. Fortunately, this project was not carried out.
If not library...
As all - to the temple was succeeded to avoid demolition? Figuratively speaking the book rescued the temple. The matter is that in the temple from 1929 to 1966 there was an All-Union state library of foreign literature founded by Margarita Ivanovna Rudomino, and subsequently (1966 - 1991) printing house of the Ministry of Culture of RSFSR.At once after the end of civil war when also is - that sense was nothing
, absolutely young translator from Saratov Margarita Rudomino went on numerous Soviet instances to prove how it is important to know foreign languages and as the library where it would be possible to study foreign literature is necessary. Also proved, being a person of inflexible will. Under its “project“ in 1929 allocated the building of the temple which for long 37 years should become library and a book-depository. In terrible 1921 Margarita managed to take out from the hometown the whole collection of books on linguistics and teaching foreign languages. It carried on the sledge across ice Moscow books and cases when the Library of foreign literature was created.
Subsequently, opposite to the house on Kotelnicheskaya, the huge building of the State library of foreign literature which since 1990 bears a name of M. I. Rudomino arose. Now it is quite possible to tell that this surprising woman who was 52 years the director of Library of foreign literature played a huge role in rescue of intellectual elite of Russia. A lot of things were made by it in those days when, appear, it was absolutely impossible. The library of foreign literature was one of the few oases of kindness in Moscow of that time. M. I. Rudomino hired those who in fear were avoided at meetings even friends and relatives, took come back from camps and references. The book not only rescued temple walls from destruction, but also undertook a role of the spiritual center where the free thought fought.Easter “on machines“
at the initiative of library in 1991 the building of the temple is returned by
to Church. On blessing of the Most Saint Patriarch Alexy II in the summer of 1991 in the temple church service is resumed. From December to November, 1992 it was made in a small room (the area of 36 square meters) in the remained lower tier of a belltower since in the temple the printing house continued to work. Only once - for Easter of 1992 - a liturgy in the main temple served among machines. It was the first liturgy after 60 - a summer break in the temple of Saint disinterested persons Cosmas and Damian. Prior of the temple prot. Alexander remembers that he was captured by pleasure though it and there was “Easter on machines“. Parishioners had the same feeling that day, their pleasure merged from easter. All understood - it is the beginning of revival. with
In November, 1992 when typographical machines were taken out, in a northern side-altar consecrated a throne for fulfillment of the liturgy in more normal conditions. And though the temple with ragged walls, the floor which is filled in with typographical paint, traces from machines it was possible to compare to the wounded person who came back home from war it was already clear - this war is won and the temple will live. Parishioners remember one of Christmas services when the central part of the temple was all in the woods intertwined with fir-tree branches and Christmas decorations.Who knows
, maybe, printing house - in fact, same “book“ - rescued the temple in 1966 - 1991 from final fracture.by
B sorted 1995 designs of the second floor of printing house in a temple chetverika. Then the old floor which is completely filled in with dark typographical paint is replaced on new - white, made of a marble crumb with white cement.Restoration is not finished with
At once after the temple was freed from the typographical equipment, works on restoration of its interior began. The team of restorers by this day finished works on disclosure and restoration of lists of the central part of the temple where compositions of painting of the 19th century are restored. In places restorers had to delete up to 9 paint coats. Painting on walls of lateral side-altars is almost opened, restored or newly written. Today in a temple interior at last the woods are removed, the internal furniture of the temple is perceived fully.
Appearance of the temple was taken by former shape: the top number of windows of a chetverik is partially restored, processing of the vosmerik blocked by a graceful baroque glavka on a white stone support with a gold openwork cross is recreated. In a northern portal of church the shod iron doors relating escaped as believe, to the first quarter of the 18th century - time of construction of the temple.to
K 2007, according to the order of the Government of Moscow, church will return historical appearance. Next year will start construction of the house of arrival and the destroyed belltower.
the Temple and the present
Today in arrival life is in full swing: groups on studying of the Gospel, group of the help to the lonely elderly people, refugees, children`s homes concluded, youth club work, there pass evenings of classical music, an author`s song.
the educational cycle For all comers is offered to accept the Sacred Epiphany. At the temple come to bookstore from all Moscow.Separately should tell
about service in Children`s republican clinical hospital. This good deed begun with the lake Alexander Menem continues nowadays the lake Georgy Chistyakov with group of parishioners. By the way, G. Chistyakov remembers the lake how it the school student went with the grandmother to Stoleshnikov to learn foreign languages. And who could think then that the philologist - the Latin scholar, the expert on 12 languages, professor Mr. Chistyakov will become a priest in the Kosmodamiansky temple.
Parishioners of the temple are very famous people: Boris Leonidovich`s son is Evgeny Borisovich Pasternak, Lyudmila Ulitskaya, Sergey Makovetsky, Alexey Rybnikov. whether
Not for this purpose the temple escaped from the fire of 1812, the book as a symbol of culture rescued the temple from 1929 to 1991 that in the center of the capital the center of spiritual and intellectual life remained. Because there are always people who come on conscience even to hard times of persecutions, just do that serious work which is considered it necessary.