If not Menshikov...
Pure would be Nasty
From all Moscow names Pure ponds - undoubtedly the most poetical. At once recur half-forgotten lines from hits of the Soviet era to the memory: “Pure ponds, timid willows...“ . Today other times and other songs, but this corner of the city as any another, kept the originality. And whether it is so important that a pond actually only one: And everything began absolutely not so romantically. Moreover - one of the most ominous legends of ancient Moscow is connected with Pure ponds.
Nasty became Pure
Who knows how these places would look today if not the powerful favourite of Peter I Alexander Menshikov. At the end of the XVII century he bought the land which is nowadays occupied by post office and ordered to clear a pond which then was called: Nasty. No wonder: nearby, on Myasnitskaya Street, there were slaughters, and butchers dumped garbage directly in a pond so the smell stood intolerable around.
There is also other version of an origin of the dissonant name. According to the legend, there was a village belonging to the boyar Stepan Kuchke here (by the way, from chronicles it is known that Moscow in the 12th century was called also by Kuchkov). When in these parts there was Yury Dolgorukiy, the Small group did not do him the honor put to grand dukes. Future founder of Moscow ordered to kill the obstinate boyar, and to throw a body into a pond. If to trust a legend, Moscow as many great cities, is founded “on blood“. And a pond began to call Nasty since then.
However, some scientists consider that the “nasty“ name is even more ancient: whether on this place once there were pagan pagan temples, whether at the time of introduction of Christianity to a pond threw pagan idols. The matter is that “pagan“ in Latin of paganus, and in some Slavic languages and is today the word pohan with the same value.
Today, fortunately, nothing reminds of the former name of a pond. Looking at a serene smooth surface of water or the having fun youth on benches, it is difficult to believe that history of these places is full of dramatic nature. That, for example, on July 25, 1570 one of the first so popular in Russia of political processes took place subsequently here: by order of Ivan the Terrible 120 boyars and sluzhily people accused of high treason were executed.
Where lived Tatyana Larina?Modern, cheerful times of Pure ponds began
when from Myasnitsky to Pokrovsk gate broke the boulevard into territories. On the Boulevard ring Chistoprudny Boulevard - the biggest on the area and the second for extent after Tver. It opens a monument to A.S. Griboyedov. The author of “Woe from Wit“ lived nearby, in well remained house No. 42 on Myasnitskaya. And, perhaps, managed to take a walk in Chistoprudny - the boulevard was arranged at his life, in 1820 - x years. Since then local ponds became the favourite vacation spot of the Moscow public. In the winter of the young lady and gentlemen skated, in the summer - by boats.
In 1831 here after a wedding there came newlyweds Alexander Pushkin and Natalya Goncharova. Nearby - “at Haritonya, in the lane“ Pushkin lodged Tatyana Larina brought “to Moscow on a fair of brides“. The place is chosen not incidentally: in Small St. Haritoniya`s church - the parish temple of a Pushkin family was Haritonyevsk. Here in several houses, one of which remained, there lived in the childhood also the poet.
At once you will not see many sights of Chistoprudny, - they are hidden in nearby lanes. Such as, the operating church of Angel Gabriel or well-known Menshikov a tower in Arkhangelsk the lane. It was constructed in 1707 by request of the same Menshikov. The church turned out above Ivan the Great Bell Tower - 81 meters! Alexander Danilovich was a vain person: But left behind a remarkable architectural monument. Once a tower the English hours with a chiming clock decorated, fifty bells and a wooden thirty-meter spike with the soaring gilded angel. In 1723 there was trouble: to the building the lightning struck, the spike burned down, hours with bells fell and broke. In the people rumors went: God punished the imperial favourite for arrogance. Only at the end of the XVIII century the tower was restored, having replaced a spike with a spiral dome.
The Pure Ponds metro station with which the boulevard begins recently itself was recognized as a monument history - though already absolutely other era. During the Great Patriotic War on the station platform - then it was “Kirov“ - there was a General Staff and the Rate of the Supreme Commander with an underground office. Stalin, however, never used him. And at the beginning of the last century on the place of station was beer, well-known for the fact that in it arrested once it is noisy Sergey Yesenin who was going out with the friends.
And “A white swan“ on a pond
On Chistoprudny you will not find such magnificent mansions as, for example, on Nikitsky or Tver. There lived the public more simply - average merchants, narrow-mindedness, officials. But, perhaps, in this diversity, Chistoprudny`s raznosherstnost - a secret of its charm. Still in 20 - e years of the last century here as at a fair, it was possible to see the Gipsy with a scientific bear, organ-grinders, dealers in the Chinese toys. Later the camel rolling on himself children became local sight.
At one time specially came to the boulevard to see a panorama of the Borodino fight - that which was transported then on Kutuzovsky Avenue. She stood still houses No. 12a where now Rolan Bykov`s fund with a cinema hall. And on other side of the boulevard, in the house No. 19a, there was a favourite movie theater of Muscovites of the senior generation - “Colosseum“. The beautiful building with an antique colonnade was built at the beginning of the last century. In 1970 - x years the house was reconstructed, now it is all the known theater “Sovremennik“. Nearby, in the house No. 23, there lived the film director Sergey Eisenstein, the creator of the well-known “Potemkin`s the Battleship“.
The two-storeyed glass building on the coast in 80 - e enjoyed years considerable popularity at the Moscow students: in it there was a fashionable Indian restaurant “Dzhaltarang“ (the singing water). To get there, it was necessary to defend not less than an hour in turn or to put to the door-keeper a traditional three. Now in this building other restaurant - “A white swan“, which, however, long ago on repair. It does not matter: on Pure ponds and today is where to have a bite. It is possible to come into pretentious “Tent“ and to order allsorts from seafood for 700 rubles and a bottle of Italian dry. And it is possible to sit not less sincerely in cafe opposite with a glass of beer and couple of sausages made on a grill. Or to settle down with the cook`s can - stakes on one of the wooden benches which are fancifully painted with young Moscow artists. And nobody will look at you slantwise. Here everyone is free to spend time at discretion.