Travel across Belarus. What is Mogilev interesting by? The town hall of
Mogilev becomes more more beautiful Every year. I cannot ignore object of special historical pride of Mogilev - a city town hall. It was the best work of civil architecture of Belarus of the 17th century, repeatedly collapsed and built up, having begun the life in 1679 and having found really a rebirth in 2008 - m when it was once again restored in only 8 months!
the Town hall is a symbol of self-government of the city, a symbol of his independence and importance those years. Usually town halls were under construction in the cities which acquired the Magdebourg right, Mogilev received it in 1577. Initially, since 1578, in the city wooden town halls were under construction, but they often burned during the fires. And in 1679 construction of stone construction - a town hall with an octahedral tower, 46 meters high was begun. In 1698 the most beautiful and high building in the city was built.
The town hall had the simple, strict forms, the five-level tower and a pediment were decorated by gilded weather vanes. Windows in tin frames into which glasses were inserted framed a sun blind with intricate plates from a thick tin. The tile roofed. From within and outside the town hall was plastered, on a front stairs established a handrail, and on a tower - hours. In the cellar the treasury, warehouses, city prison, the room for the watchman was placed. On the first floor - an outer entrance hall and the big hall where there passed courts. In the case of a tower there were ceremonial rooms - “the hall and a front room“ which walls decorated icons, portraits of kings and a banner.
In 1773, after the section of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and inclusion of Mogilev in structure of the Russian Empire, the city became the center of the Mogilev province, here began intensive construction and a town hall reconstructed. On the second floor placed City Council and magistrate, and the first floor was given for archive of magistrate, offices for the police officer, by storerooms, trade benches and hotel rooms (if to speak the modern language). The slim silhouette of a town hall with a high tower was still the real decoration of the city. In 1780 the Russian empress Catherine II and the Austrian emperor Franz - Joseph II admired the city from an observation deck of a town hall.
Up to October revolution in the building of a town hall the city authorities were located. And in the years of World War I when Nicholas II actually lived in Mogilev and his Rate (1915-1918) settled down, the military radio station worked here. In the subsequent the town hall was used as a city fire tower, thanks to the arrangement on the high mountain and to the fine review of vicinities.
Heroic pages of history of the city in the period of the Great Patriotic War have communication with a town hall too. After liberation of Mogilev in 1944 on top of a town hall the machine gunner`s remains - the Red Army man who battled in far 41 here - m were found. And in the years of occupation members of the local underground organization secretly gathered in one of rooms of a town hall.
The town hall very much suffered during the Great Patriotic War, but at the government level the decision to include it in the list of the historical buildings which are subject to restoration and restoration was made. However, despite the begun works, in July, 1957 the town hall was blown up, and the resisted tower was dumped by means of cables and tractors. It was made at dawn, eyewitnesses of those events said that the inhabitants of nearby houses who woke up from explosion did not hide tears, uvidav the city shrine in ruins. On one of versions, the decision on demolition of a town hall was made from - for unprofitability of its restoration, too large sums which and so after war was not densely were required.
It seems that the architects who prepared the conclusion about demolition of a town hall in 1955 just did not find time to arrive to the place and to look, and were guided by the State Act of inspection of the escaped monuments of architecture of Mogilev of 1944. And in it it was noted: “The Mogilev town hall constructed by residents has an appearance of ruins. The ceiling and half of the building are destroyed. Walls cracked in many places, internal plaster was showered, outside rich modelled architectural details are damaged more than half. Very strongly suffered 5 - a level tower of a town hall which reminds itself Basil the Great`s belfry in Moscow. Octahedral walls of a town hall received with a diameter more than ten hollows of about a meter, remained surface of its walls is honeycombed by snaryadny splinters. If not the thick walls created with a large supply of durability, a town hall could not stand. Considering her spoiled body, we see how strongly and strongly our grandfathers were able to build“ . In any case, their conclusion was the following: “… restoration of a town hall demands not justified, big expenses of means … the building represents ruins which cannot be restored“ .
Memory of a city shrine and hope for its restoration always lived in a fit of temper mogilevchan. And on May 23, 1992 the symbolical first stone on the place where there was an old town hall and where construction of new was planned was put. In the city for collecting donations even the charitable account “Town hall“ was opened. But construction was postponed again and again, difficult were 90 - e years for economy and the country in general. And in August, 2007 the decision on the beginning of restoration of a town hall was made - and already on July 18, 2008 its ceremonial opening took place. The recreated town hall was at the historical place, on the high mountain on Soviet (former Trade) the areas.
Construction was conducted with the maximum approach of object by an era of the Magdebourg right of 17 - 18 centuries. The main building - two-storeyed, plus the third mansard floor and a many-tier tower 47 m high. On 1 floor the museum of history of Mogilev, in a penthouse - its service premises is located now. On the 2nd floor - a conference hall of the City Council, studies and utility rooms. External and internal finishing is as close as possible to 17 - 18 centuries too, even the furniture was made on the basis of analogs of the 18th century, and a curtain - roleta are made according to sketches of the Polish engravings.
The town hall is decorated by the unique tower clock at the height of 33 meters, diameter of the dial - 1,5 m, arrows 90 cm long, gilded Roman figures are made of corrosion-proof metal. The course of hours is provided with a clockwork with three weights weighing up to 100 kg everyone. Names of all who took part in production of these hours are immortalized on the laser disk attached to the mechanism.
The biography of a town hall includes all major events which were endured by the city, at historians on a town hall the centuries-old file is collected. The new town hall, as well as her predecessors, organically fitted into city life, became epicenter of city events and picturesque sight. And, as before, accumulates in itself history of Mogilev. And if earlier it was the symbol of self-government of the city, then now - a symbol of spiritual revival.