Let`s think of ecology and the budget or how to count the electric power?
Quite recently, on March 23, 2013 in the world there passed Hour of Earth. This action is carried out the last Saturday of March, and urges all to switch-off whenever possible unnecessary electric devices, on purpose both economy of the electric power, and drawing attention to environmental problems. And likely not for nothing, according to mass media, only for example in Ufa this hour saved 9 megawatts of the electric power and 100 thousand rubles.
However, from problems universal we will pass to problems with more private. It is interesting to know how many the electric power consumes this or that device. And so coincided that in the same day, on March 23, mail the device ordered still a month ago on eBay for electricity consumption measurement came. As it is possible to see on a photo, this rather compact and portable device which turns on between any device and the socket, allowing to see how many the electric power consumes the connected electric device (other parameters - the network tension, frequency, the consumed current, total operating time and pr are also measured). It is interesting to share results of measurements with readers.
But for a start there is a little arithmetics. It is obvious that the device the power of kilowatts, will consume during a day of 24 kWh, the simple proportion shows that the 1 watt device will consume per day 0. 024 kWh, or 8. 76 kWh a year. What will make 23 rubles a year for our 1 watt virtual device. It is a lot of or a little?
We will pass to measurements.
1. The laptop (average power, with the Core 2 Duo processor) - consumes 16 watts in the accumulator charging mode. If the accumulator is charged, the laptop consumes 1. 7 watts in a waiting mode, 11 watts in a usual operating mode and 25 watts in the mode of a full load of the processor (an archiving of the big file). The power supply unit from the laptop connected to the socket consumes 0. 5 watts.
2. The computer (average power, with the GHz Core i3 3 processor, not top game) - consumes 75 watts during usual work (for example a set of this text), 92 W during 100% - loadings of the processor (an archiving of the big file) and even 250 watts during game. And here consumption in the waiting mode appeared only 2. 8 watts. It is interesting that the switched-off computer all the same consumes from a network power, a component 1. 2 watts.
3. ZhK - the monitor 22“ - consumes 35 watts in operating time and 0. 7 W in the waiting or switched off mode (it is interesting that in the last cases monitors have no difference, probably shutdown electronic, and electronics works anyway). By the way, consumption of the monitor depends and from the output data - when filling the screen in the black color (for example in Paint) total consumption decreases by 1 watt and makes 33. 8 watts.
4. WiFi - the adapter + the cable modem - in the sum consume 11 W.
5. Other electronic gadgets: iPad during charging consumes from a network 12. 5 The W if to include him and to unscrew brightness for 100%, consumption increases to 13. 5 Of W. And here of iPod consumes during charging less - 4. 5 Of W with the switched-off screen and 6 W with included on full brightness. At the switched-off tablet - the charger does not consume anything (or at least, consumption is less than a device error) so if something happens it is possible to leave the charger in the socket, without being afraid of excess accounts for electricity (though it is not recommended to leave electric devices absolutely unguarded). Wall an electronic clock consume 1. 5 watts, as much by the way the microwave oven with hours in a waiting mode consumes. As for energy saving lamps , their consumption quite corresponds to passport - a lamp with the declared power of 13 W, consumes from a network 12. 7 Of W. The LED lamp the same brightness consumes 5. 7 The W, i.e. is approximately twice less.
6. The washing machine - the automatic machine for one session of washing (including water heating, washing and an extraction) consumes 0. 76 kWh. Peak consumption during washing makes about 2 kW, the power spent for rotation of the drum (when water is already heated) about 200 W. At last, energy consumption the refrigerator and which made 0 was measured. 3 kWh for 5. 5 hours of measurement what total consumption of 470 kWh a year follows from. Similar it is the most powerful consumer of energy in the house. Though this size is quite normal for refrigerators of average price category, there are on sale also more economical models.
In conclusion we will notice that the author does not urge to pull out all devices from sockets and to sit at a moonlight. At the same time the obtained data not only are curious in itself, but also set thinking. For example, unexpectedly big difference of a power consumption of the computer depending on loading of the processor - it is easy to estimate that some background program loading the processor, not only prevents to work, but also will manage to the budget of the owner superfluous 200r in a year. Than not an occasion once again to check system an antivirus (but you should not reach to Parana)... Also unexpectedly and the fact that even switched off (but connected to the socket) the computer with the monitor will spend in a year of the electric power for 40 rubles. A trifle of course, but being going on vacation for a month, will be to cut off power devices probably not superfluous. To the contrary, if it is necessary to interrupt for a while work, you should not be afraid to leave the computer in the dream mode - its consumption very little, several times is less than at an energy saving bulb. Also you should not be afraid of accounts for the electric power from the charger left in the socket - as showed measurements, its power consumption without loading is equal to zero.
PS: For those who will want to repeat experiments at home: the cost of watts - meter makes near 700r, it is possible to find them in sale on eBay, having typed in the search box “220v watt meter“ (I will not begin to give references not to do advertizing to sellers).