St. Petersburg. Bridges over waters... How many them? What they?
St. Petersburg consist of several tens islands. Many know that Vasilyevsky, Stone, Krestovsky - islands. Meanwhile, the Petrograd party - the same island, and all historic center of the city - the island. it is necessary for
A for convenience of residents that streets proceeded also on other coast of uncountable channels and rivulets. And bridges are for this purpose necessary. How many them in St. Petersburg? Wicky answers that within the city - about 800 bridges, from them 218 pedestrian. At the same time actually in the city 342 bridges (from them adjustable to summer of 2008 there was only 13), and the others - in suburbs.
In Petrovsky times constant bridges through Neva were not. The people were forced to get over on the one hand Neva on another in jolly boats and other boats (the tsar - the shipbuilder found in need of continuous use of boats, jolly boats, yal and other boats certain “drive“ - a pier, as in Holland!) and in the winter - on ice.
But soon through Neva began to throw floating pontoon (plashkoutny) bridges. As they prevented navigation on Neva, in them there was a special “adjustable flight“ which turned, freeing the road to vessels. But Neva is Neva, a navigation artery, etc. And through small rivulets bridges began to do almost at once - and how differently through them to get over?
If in names of bridges through Neva the policy, then names of bridges through small rivers, rivulets and canals - substantially result of folk art clearly seems.
So, the first Anichkov (an accent on the second syllable) the bridge through Fontanka was built by the engineer`s sappers - the lieutenant colonel Anichkov in 1716. Yes they also lodged nearby. And though there was that bridge then (at Pyotr Alekseevich) wooden, and Fontanka was called Anonymous Eric, all following bridges which were under construction on this place were called the same as called the very first bridge.
Potseluyev Bridge which gained all-Union fame thanks to Utesov`s smash hit was called in honor of a tavern of the merchant Potseluyev, settling down near the bridge. And, though, according to the song, Rocks invited there to appointment the girl, it is difficult to believe in it. It is painfully far from the center, on the suburb it is located. The bridge is near New Holland, in couple of quarters to Lieutenant Schmidt Bridge, in several quarters to St. Isaac`s Cathedral and in a quarter from the Maryinsky Theater.
The order of construction of the first movable bridges through Neva was such. Blagoveshchensky Bridge, it in Soviet period - Lieutenant Schmidt Bridge became the first (as some naval lieutenants who sat up without increase in a rank joked “rather Lieutenant Schmidt Bridge will become the bridge of the Senior lieutenant Schmidt, than I will receive this rank“).
In 1727 from modern St. Isaac`s Square to Vasilyevsky Island the plashkoutny bridge (on the present granite embankment in this place still on both sides of the river there were descents - congresses) was thrown. The place of a crossing near the present bridge was chosen by Menshikov whose palace is located on the opposite coast. This bridge which received Isaakiyevsky`s name existed before construction of the constant bridge then it was moved to the place of modern Palace. The bridge was built in 1843-1850.
Second Bridge through Neva became Foundry. In the beginning there too there was a plashkoutny bridge, from Voskresensky Avenue alignment on other party. Then Liteyny Avenue became more important, and the plashkoutny bridge was moved there. The movable bridge was put on August 30, 1875, and completed it on September 30, 1879.
Troitsky Bridge became the third. And on this place since 1803 there was a plashkoutny bridge which is decided to be replaced adjustable. Construction began in 1897, and ended in 1903. Opened the bridge it was dated for celebration of the two-hundredth anniversary of St. Petersburg. On May 16, 1903 the bridge was open in a festive atmosphere in the presence of Nicholas II and members of an imperial surname. At the same time the first solemn divorce of the bridge took place: Nicholas II, having pressed the electric button, put huge electric motors of an adjustable bridge span in action.
The fourth built Bolsheokhtinsky Bridge, its project was approved in 1907, construction is begun on June 26, 1909, the bridge received the name “Emperor Peter the Great Bridge“. On October 26, 1911 it was open. After revolution the bridge is renamed at first into Bolsheokhtensky, then in 1956 - according to new rules of spelling - into Bolsheokhtinsky.
Palace Bridge has difficult history. Since 1856 near future bridge there was a plashkoutny bridge postponed after construction of constant Blagoveshchensky Bridge and which received the name Palace. Began to project a movable bridge together with Bolsheokhtinsky, but there were difficulties (the place painfully eminent). Began to build in 1912, and opened on December 23, 1916. However registration of the bridge was finished only after revolution - for example, pig-iron perilny lattices appeared only in 1939.
Other movable bridges on Neva were constructed already in Soviet period. History of their construction is interesting too, as well as history of bridges on Small Neva and Nevkakh.