Unmotivated client? Be simpler also people to you to stretch
the Unmotivated client? Be simpler also people to you to stretch
In the problem definition of searches of methods of work of the psychologist with the unmotivated client there are conflicts of several levels:
1. An existential contradiction because any mere mortal of people not in forces to affect destiny of other person. This message is broadcast through ancient myths, the Bible, magic fairy tales, modern jokes and through experience of the practicing psychotherapists.
2. A contradiction between performance of the professional duty when to the psychologist to have forcedly to communicate with the client, and a position of professional competence of the psychologist which says to it that, acting as the initiator of carrying out psychological intervention, it arrives incorrectly from the professional point of view.
3. The contradiction created on the way of communication the subject - object approach to the client when society points to the person that it has problems and that it has to change, differently punishments will follow. Solving problems of motivation of the client, the psychologist initially puts himself in the position, dependent on the client, contradicting with democratic principles of dialogue.
4. A contradiction between actual needs of the client and requirements which to it are attributed by society.
In this sense to set a task to find effective methods of work with unmotivated clients, all the same, that to find a successful way not only to bring a horse to a watering place contrary to her desire, but also to force it to drink. And further there are following questions:
- How many water it has to drink?
- Who will solve it?
- As well as what to measure the volume of the water consumed by it by.
In the same way it is impossible to adapt the person to a life situation against his will. In the same way it is impossible to force the person to recover if he does not want it.
Therefore, acting as the initiator of contact with the client, unmotivated on cooperation, the psychologist first of all should ask several questions to himself:
- Why I contact with this person?
- What need at me for this communication?
- What motivation at me?
- What objectives I want to achieve as a result of this interaction?
- As this purpose will be coordinated with the direction of my professional and personal development?
The following stage is a direct introduction in contact with the client. It is the most difficult moment of the beginning of interaction because the paradoxical picture when both the client, and the consultant meet halfway to each other against the will is most often observed and experience the whole range of negative emotions concerning the compelled conversation. Mutual dishonesty generates development of obviously famous scenarios of the games developed in a psychological office.
The subject - object communication about which each of us is familiar since the birth is opposition to a habitual way the subject - subject approach in which the consultant acts as the same person, and the client as the equal interlocutor. In this plan the communities and support groups adhering to the principles of really democratic society well work:
- experience of everyone is valuable;
- everyone has the right for the point of view;
- everyone is free in the choice;
- everyone has the right to express and be listened;
- nobody estimates, criticizes, condemns.
Experience of such most effective model of recovery as 12 - ti the step program according to which dependent and sozavisimy people work, says that the most important that you can make for other suffering person, is to share with it own experience of the solution of this or that problem. The consultant who speaks with the person not from height of the professional status and to share own experiences, will exert much bigger impact on the relation to the events, than the consultant who is formally executing the professional duty.
The third step after manifestation of a personal interest in the interlocutor - clarification of his valid requirements:
- What is important for it at present?
- From what it suffers now?
- What it has requirements?
Here, coming back to a question of work with the unmotivated client, it is possible to claim how it is done by many psychologists and social workers: the unmotivated client is not. Such formulation is convenient for an explanation of why work, does not lead to a goal. There is a lack of contact and unexplored needs of the client.
Further it is already possible to look for in common ways of satisfaction of these requirements, to set the purposes and tasks of their achievement, and also to offer various forms of work with the client.
Together with Yulia Vasyukova