Aquarium husbandry: what mistakes the beginner has to avoid?
When from thought to create an own aquarium you will pass to practical actions, before you there will be a number of problems. You as the beginning aquarian, you can quickly achieve success if you recognize from the fact that in bondage living conditions have to differ from natural as little as possible. Means, it is necessary in advance, before appearance of fishes in the house to get acquainted with behavior and living conditions of future pupils.
Ignorance of bases of aquarium husbandry in most cases dooms such fine hobby as an aquarium, to failure. Surprisingly beautiful small fishes with whom usually there begins the inexperienced aquarian often perish because in a reservoir biological balance is not established. I want to stop on typical mistakes which are made by the beginning aquarians:
1. Since too small . In aquarium husbandry there is an unshakable rule which says that the more aquarium capacity, the is simpler to look after him. All this for that one reason that the bigger volume of water copes with violation of biological balance quicker. Practice shows that it is necessary to begin with volume not less than 100 liters.
2. Haste with start of fish. So, you filled an aquarium with water, but you cannot wait to fill it with flora and fauna, isn`t it? But you do not hurry to start in an aquarium all fish group for one calling, otherwise you will make other widespread mistake of the beginning aquarians - start of a large number of fish at the same time. Yet colonies of bacteria were not formed, the aquarium cannot safely support the full volume of fauna therefore it is necessary to wait, so far the level of ammonia and nitrates will not rise to the highest mark and will not reduce to zero before adding more fish. In practice it looks so: through two - three days after filling of water it is possible to plant plants. It is at the same time possible to lodge the first inhabitants of an aquarium: ampulyariya, couple of zhivorodok... Approximately in the same time water in an aquarium begins to grow turbid, but you be not frightened - rough reproduction of microorganisms (infusorial flash) began, and it is natural. After that for 4-6 day water brightens, i.e. processes in an aquarium are stabilized. Now it is possible to start small fishes.
3. Aquarium overpopulation . Even if all of you - made the way through reefs of process of installation of an aquarium, other mistake of new owners of the underwater worlds - an aquarium overpopulation is very widespread. There are norms of settling of fishes in an aquarium. At once I want to note that they conditional and a lot of things depend on experience of the aquarian, existence of the technical equipment, density of settling of plants, but, nevertheless, at the beginning they will help you. So norm of settling for small fishes - 1-1,5 l on a small fish, average fishes - 3-5 l, large - 10-15 l.
4. Keeping of incompatible fish . New owners of aquariums often choose that fish who visually most of all is pleasant to them, at the same time without knowing anything about her native habitat and requirements. Getting an aquarium, seldom who thinks of what fishes, mollusks and plants will be its inhabitants. Selection of hydrobionts most often happens spontaneously: in an aquarium all collect that was pleasant in the zoomarket or what managed to be got. In aquariums of beginners it is possible to see absolutely improbable a combination of fishes: guram and the goldfishes demanding different temperature condition; neon and hromisa - the handsome, first of which become an easy mark of the second. It is not necessary even to speak about the correct combination of fishes and plants. And, naturally, the end result of such rash settling of an aquarium - death of your favourites.
5. Insufficient filtration and aeration of water . The beginning aquarians very often ignore need of aeration and a filtration of water. In the end result it leads to a sad outcome. You, for certain, know that plants including underwater, emit oxygen. But, in turn, they also consume it. Besides, the overpopulation fishes and lack of plants in an aquarium leads to inevitable oxygen starvation of its inhabitants. Reduces availability of oxygen in water and temperature increase, and it sometimes is necessary when you hold medical events in the aquarium. Lack of the filter leads to a big congestion of organic chemistry and violation of biological balance.
6. Frequent full replacement of water. In stay by the director of club of aquarians, I conducted a heading about an aquarium on local television and in one of newspapers. Often asked me a question: “How often to change water in an aquarium? “ I know fans who with enviable stubbornness weekly changed completely water in the aquarium. It is impossible to do it categorically. At the correct leaving the aquarium before full replacement can normally function for 2-3 years. Every time, replacing completely water, you change the “old“ balanced “live“ water on “dead“ even if otstoyanny. Another matter - partial substitution of water. This procedure is simply necessary. Substitution is the main way of maintenance of water in an aquarium in proper condition. Without it various remains and other pollution would collect in soil, and levels of nitrates, phosphates and organic acids would increase up to improbable heights, not to mention the level of rigidity and acidity of water. By means of regular substitutions of water you can fight against mechanical pollution and against accumulation of chemicals in water of your aquarium. Weekly you have to change 1/5 part of aquarian water. At the same time water which you add not necessarily has to be otstoyanny; it can be taken directly from a water tap.
7. Lack of control of parameters of water . Sometimes in your aquarium favourite small fishes and plants unjustly perish. And the aquarium in purity, both temperature is normal, and the filter works, and you sustain losses... The reason can be in the physicist - chemical properties of water. It is a subject extensive and demands studying, and now I want to tell that not any water even if it crystal-clear, is suitable for an aquarium (proceeding from practice, I recommend to use tap water). There are two main indicators of water - it is kislotno - alkaline balance (pH) and rigidity (dH). All live including fishes, live in certain values of these indicators therefore once a month it is necessary to carry out measurements of these values. As it becomes, you can learn on the Internet.
In conclusion I want to tell that, proceeding from the above before getting an aquarium, it is necessary to stock up with a certain basic knowledge. But actually it is not difficult at all. The pleasure and feeling of delight from contact with wildlife will be rewarding for your work and persistence.