What will we fill in in fuel tanks of cars of the future? Air!
Air - in fuel tanks? And why is also not present? The engine of the usual car working at gasoline, in principle, works very simply.
Gas mixture which, sharply extending at ignition gets to the combustion chamber, pushes the piston. Further operation of the piston by means of a lot of all mechanisms just rotates wheels.
And if not to set fire to gas mixture, and to create pressure which pushes the piston directly by means of compressed air? Why not? What to us a difference that will push this piston if only wheels turned!
That is there are no basic restrictions of transformation of a petrol internal combustion engine to the pneumatic motor just. Besides, throughout short history of the car as vehicles such attempts were made repeatedly.
One of the first patents for use of compressed air as “propeller“ of the vehicle was given in Great Britain in 1799! And in the 19th century the pneumatic cursor was tried to be put on engines, trams, cars. Most of all the pneumatic actuator on the railroad held on: some English trains went with such engine more than 30 years.
Vehicles on compressed air are set in motion by the pneumoengines using the compressed air reserved in cylinders. Such drive is called pneumatic. Instead of fuel mix with air, its burning in the engine and the subsequent transmission of energy to pistons from the hot extending gases, in vehicles on compressed air transmission of energy to pistons is carried out from compressed air. One of producers declared development of the pneumoengine having 90% of efficiency . Source: Wikipedia.
1. The main benefit from use of compressed air as “fuel“ - environmental friendliness. The car refuels usual atmospheric air. No chemical transformations in the course of driving happen, an exhaust - the same atmospheric air. Cold. Therefore, the conditioner for such car represents idle time having blown in a “exhaust“ pipe.
2. Essential, in comparison with petrol DVS, simplification of a design of the engine. It is not necessary to store combustible liquids, it is not necessary to pull conducting and to think out difficult schemes of ignition. All power plant of such car - a tank for compressed air, the intermediate mechanism for giving of the necessary portion of compressed air and a working zone with the turbine. In total! To break there is nothing, reliability of such system just phenomenal! Well, for gas station still usually put the electric compressor which compresses atmospheric air and downloads it in a tank.
3. Well, and phenomenal low cost of “fuel“ for pneumomobiles plays not the last role too.
On it advantages of the pneumocar come to an end, the set of shortcomings “gets out“.
The basic problem consists that the air compressed to 300 bars (standard pressure for modern autodevelopments), comprises about 1% of that amount of energy which is characteristic of vysookootanovy gasoline. At low temperatures “installed power per employee“ of compressed air is even less. From here and problems.
1. Low speed. The record included in the Guinness Book of Records for pneumocars makes 129,2 kilometers per hour.
2. Low power. The maximum power working today (2012) pneumatic actuators makes only 75 hp
3. A small stock of the course at one gas station. Though, for example, the General Motors firm declared that its pneumo - the concept of Cadillac Aera will pass 1600 km at one gas station, it does not have documentary confirmations for the present. The most “long-range“ “airmobile“ working today passes 200 km at one gas station.
However not everything is so bad. Market niches where high speed, the power and “range“ is not required, already began to be equipped with pneumomobiles. So, the management of the airport French terminals already adopted the program of purchase of pneumotransport for a delivery of passengers from the airport to the nearest hotels. Pneumotransport is already now applied at the enterprises and warehouses with vapors of flammable materials. Here it is very dangerous to use even electrotransport: one spark can provoke explosion of huge force.
Phenomenal environmental friendliness of pneumocars drew attention of the authorities of Mexico City, the most polluted city in the world. Since 2010 in this city there is a gradual replacement of all city taxi by “air draft“. In city park of the Australian Melbourne all vehicles are equipped with pneumomotors. Work quietly, eco-friendly, cheap.
And there is more to come! In 2008 the Indian automobile company of “Tat“ declared the project of release of “the national car“ on compressed air. Plans are grandiose. And Indians did not begin to develop the car, and bought already “rolled“ design of the French company “MDI“ which was based by the former engineer - the tester of engines in Formula One Guy Negre (Guy Negre).
The similar car, OneCat, is already on sale as a city taxi in France. A stock of the course of such car - not less than 200 kilometers in the city mode of the movement. Seats for the driver and four passengers. The maximum speed - to 110 kilometers per hour. Tanks for compressed air are made on special technology, at accident they do not blow up, and break up.
The declared cost - 5000 dollars. Almost full competitor to the petrol car.
Construction of plants for production or screwdriver assembly pnevmobily is developed in Is southern - the African republic, Mexico, Spain and Australia.
Probably, the automobile world is on the threshold of revolution.