Children`s reading: how to choose good scientifically - the popular book?
Will make a reservation at once: I am far from intention to whimper about good old days. Times were different, and they did not influence my relation to books, to reading. Among schoolmates with whom I shoulder to shoulder passed from the beginning of the first until the end of the tenth class not everyone, for example, liked to read, liked to obtain information from books. We observe the same and now: one read, are able and like to do it, others - are not present.
And so, in old kind times, almost all school days at my order were two sets of “The children`s encyclopedia“. In school library - 10 - the languid “ancient“ edition - the first, in yellow covers. Houses - new, the third: 12 - languid, multi-colored, left from 1971 to 1978. As I learned then, between them there was an edition second, is gray - green, apparently, but it was not necessary to communicate with it to me.
With a subscription on multi-colored 12 - a tomnik our family was made happy by the aunt which worked in bookstore (age-mates will estimate this fact, younger generations will not understand). So volumes of the encyclopedia came to our house in process of an exit - and therefore were sniffed and tried out by me almost like illustrated magazine.
The relation to the multi-volume set as to the reference book arose later when this collection of data on the world which the Academy pednauk considered noteworthy the Soviet child was built on a book shelf in the order caused by a classical mnemonic formula about the hunter and a pheasant.
And then, at the first meeting with DE, and now I consider this multi-volume set as the edition ideal for formation of awareness of the child in affairs of world around. The encyclopedia was universal, represented all sciences naturally - scientific and humanitarian cycles, each of 12 volumes characterized one or two sciences. As illustrations photos were used, drawings, schemes, articles are added with tables.
Apparently according to final data that are placed at the end of each volume, on one book from 6 to 10 months left - I judge by dates of delivery in a set and signings in the press. Each volume had the senior editor - it is necessary to think, specializing in a subject. The collective preparing volume included editors art and technical, artists - “scribes“, illustrators are authors of drawings, schemes, photos.
In the plan printing DE it was executed perfectly.
The format chosen for a set - “encyclopedic“ caused respect; books had the firm cover fitted by fabric, prepared the multi-volume set Pedagogika publishing house of Academy pednauk for the USSR.
The book block shity, opens easily - having opened the book, it should not be held that did not slam.
About paper especially - does not shine, does not glare, color not cold, issinya white, and warm. “Offset Goznak No. 1“ (now looked characteristics of this paper - all in accordance with GOST: “it is made of bleached cellulose - used for production of the multi-color editions of long service life containing gray-scale illustrations“).
The structure of the book is characterized by the developed table of contents on the fly-leaf, actually the book is opened by the preface signed by the eminent person of that scientific discipline to which the volume is devoted. Sections are divided into chapters, chapters - on subchapters. Biographies of great people of this field of science are separately given.
Each volume contains the section “practical“. Let`s tell, the volume “Plants and Animals“ has data “For the aid to the young naturalist“. Volume “Equipment and Production“ - to “Young fans of equipment“. Volume “World of celestial bodies. Numbers and figures“ - for the first part - “The young astronomer“, the second part has in a filler “Entertaining tasks and questions“.
Surely in each volume there is “A help department“ including the thematic list of references, the chronicle of significant dates from history of branch. And also - the dictionary - the index with references to pages where are mentioned this or that scientist, the term. In conclusion the list of reductions is given.
Most boring, on my taste, there was a volume on stories of Russia, red tenth volume. Other I consider all remarkable both on registration, and according to contents, relevance not lost to this day. DE 1970 - x and suits today for those who are in “address“ age now: on the back of a title it is told - “for an average and the advanced school age“.
But I would place the parents staying in perplexity concerning criteria of the choice of books for children in target audience now. And therefore, proceeding from above-mentioned advantages of “The children`s encyclopedia“ of the last century, I will undertake to offer a practical advice to the parents choosing books for children:
1. Look at the last page. If on it there is no information about the proofreader - put the book on a regiment, it - not your choice.
2. The proofreader is? Open the book. If it reveals badly, seeks to slam - return the book to the dealer, it is not necessary to you - and to you, and it will be opposite to child to fight against such book block. If it glued - eventually is broken, the book will begin to be scattered.
3. Look at paper. Perhaps, in a trading floor of shop not a next world to consider a shade of white paper, but the invoice - that you will be able to estimate. You need the book from dense and smooth, but matte, not brilliant paper that will give a guarantee of durability of the book and it will be convenient for the reader.
4. There is a proofreader - the book can be opened, without risking to break cover, and paper does not remind a blotter, as well as does not cause association with the glossy magazine, - look for “Contents“. If in it only the preface, the list of numbers of chapters and the conclusion appear, such book is not necessary to you. That which author and the editor were not too lazy to provide to readers of convenience on travel according to the book is necessary. Namely: created the table of contents developed, characterizing book contents multistage.
5. Choosing the reference book, scientifically - the popular, scientific book, look for in the structure described by “Contents“ vspomogatelno - the help device. I do not advise to be interested in such books in which there are no indexes. Such absence became bad fashion of present time. Meanwhile indexes of names, place names, terms, objects are very necessary to the reader. And to the reader with a wealth of experience and good taste, and to a beginner: we want to cultivate good taste at children?
This list contains councils, so to speak, technical. They are based on a simple assumption: if the publishing house worked to execute demanded at least by these five points - hardly it faked as regards the text and illustrations.
At last the last: spare no expense for books. Do not wait that the good book for your child on which all honestly worked from the author to the printer, will be comparable at the price with toilet paper.