Why people pursue science?
This occupation troublesome, and in our country and not prestigious. However, in the Western world to “eggheaded“ belong cautiously too. Only east traditions cultivate respect for teacher . Occupation by science does not bring material welfare to most of scientists. On a comical question of new Russian “If you such clever, why poor?“ I found the answer: “But I live“. Here still some answers.
General incentive. In the Sermon on the Mount of Jesus Christ it is told: “Blazheni the thirsty and thirsting righteousness, Tia`s yak nasytesya“.
Hans Selye, the creator of the doctrine about a stress, allocates seven of personal incentives :
1. Unconditional love to the nature and the truth . The nature is so arranged that useful effects and things are pleasant to us. Meal, process of reproduction and... process of knowledge. The instinctive anticipation of pleasure precedes and I will kiss, and to a discovery. Opening in the field of fundamental sciences gives joy regardless of its practical use. But the knowledge acquired thus becomes also almost useful. We with colleagues jumped with joy at spectrometers (and, naturally, ran in shop), having received the result which is intuitively expected and nothing before not reasonable. Then years were spent for the proof to scientific community of its validity.
The motive of benefit directly condemns “Bkhagavadgit“: “To action you have the right, but not to its fruits. Should not motivate to act desire to use its fruits, but nothing can be a justification to inaction“.
2. Admiration of beauty of regularity . In the childhood we are glad to miracles and mysterious things. “Watch a phenomenon, the father (mother)!“. Very few people during life keep this gift of joyful surprise. True scientists and remain for the rest of life naive children. To me, for example, it is still surprising that such heavy “piece of iron“ as the plane, flies. At many thinkers who reached from the point of view of the inhabitant, everything, recognition meets at the end of life: the only thing that I know, is that I know nothing . It not a coquetry, and the remained amazement before constantly opening ocean of novel.
3. Mere curiosity . Academician`s joke: the science is a way to satisfy curiosity at the expense of the state budget. There is a passion before each new task: they could not, and I will be able, I feel it! V. S. Vysotsky has such lines:
Learn, and there is a limit - there, on the edge of the earth whether
I can move apart the horizons?
4. Desire to be useful . I would specify - demanded. The person - a being collective, gregarious. To it is cozier when it is necessary to herd. V. V. Mayakovsky coquetted when he spoke:
I want to be understood by the country.
And if I am not understood that.
On the native land I will pass by,
As slanting rain expects to fall.
the Science becomes not when it is necessary and when there is a wish. It is a way of life, but not service. The dictionary of Russian gathered V. Dahl 52 years as a hobby during service on various departments, and is necessary to Russia 150 years. The successful businessman, the millionaire Mr. Shliman in forty six years gave up business and went to look for legendary Troy. And similar found something!
5. Need for approval - thirst of authority - vanity . Scientists, as well as most of people, need a praise. They look for the reference to themselves in special articles and are concerned about the priority in researches. There are even special magazines “… Letters“ for the fast publication of alarm works. But scientists are very picky concerning that whose recognition they would like to achieve and for what they would like to become well-known. The success at crowd interests them a little, and interest of journalists just frightens (because this tribe fairly and shamelessly lies). It is one of the reasons why some scientists undertake writing of popular articles.
6. Success aura . Desire to imitate an ideal. For me it is Ernst Rutherford and Antoine Saint - Ekzyuperi. But ideals are chosen not in order that to catch up with them, and for the indication of a way. Because it is told: do not create to yourself an idol.
7. Fear of boredom, monotony . It is the strongest incentive. For the first time I tested it in 17 years in operating time the mechanic at plant of jet engines in Voronezh. In half a year after the beginning of work understood that in three years I will reach the highest 6th category and all. Further same. Also went to study to the Leningrad university. In artel of gold prospectors “Cupid“ on extraction of platinum tested the same. Five seasons as cow. At night in a stall you sleep. In the morning in the dining room of sterns. Farther on a luzhok (on a prompribor behind platinum). During the lunchtime again forage. In the evening you the state will milk (handed over platinum). A forage and in a stall. And so 140 days in a row. It was pleasant to much. And for me to fatally it was boring. Returned for a beggarly salary, but to Academy of Sciences.
I will add one more incentive. Leaving from the ordinary “in a tower from an ivory“ . According to V. I. Vernadsky: communication with the nature supports spirit of the scientist, and with people it often loses presence of mind.
Personal incentives work slowly and chaotically. An example of that K. E. Tsiolkovsky who did all the researches at own expense (a salary of the teacher of a gymnasium, except for the only single tip in 1000 rubles). From here and quite modest result.
The state incentive is much more effective than . Example: sharp acceleration in time World War II of scientific search in a nuclear fizikokhimiya and technology. At space exploration of incomparably big results, than K. E. Tsiolkovsky, achieved S. P. Korolev - especially monarchic the person. Here to you and admitted to the party with not removed criminal record, both stars, and popularity - posthumous .
Scientific knowledge - one of forms of the power therefore both certain people, and the people have to have to them equal access. The power - one more incentive to occupation by science . It is also objective as it undergoes testing experience, and is incorruptible. It is possible to bribe the certain scientist, institute, but not result of their work as false results will be disproved sooner or later by scientific community.
In the movie “Pharaoh“ there is an image of the power of knowledge. The priest, knowing time of approach of a solar eclipse, forced the people to shudder and overthrew the Pharaoh.