“Polkana and Swans“ Yakov Butovich or What the Prilepsky horse-breeding center is nice for? Today honor
in each region there are studs, and once in their Russia it was possible to count on fingers. Among them Prilepsky was famous.
It is considered that it was founded in 1866 by the rich merchant Nikolay Nikitovich Dobrynin who acquired local horse-breeding economy at the general - the major and the managing director of several horse-breeding centers in Moscow and Tula Leonid Nikolaevich Hartung (the wife - Maria Hartung, the daughter A. Pushkina).
Nikolay Dobrynin, and then and his son Alexey completed horse-breeding center with horses of the best-known breeds in Russia. Especially the Oryol trotters who brought popularity Dobrynin were famous. However after Alexey Nikolaevich`s death the manor passed to his widow who conducting economic affairs was not in power. The plant was put up for sale.
In 1909 the officer and nobleman Yakov Ivanovich Butovich became the new owner in Prilepakh. His grandfather and the father were konnozavodchik. Since the childhood Jascha vanished in a stable, perfectly kept in a saddle, made walks in favourite places of Khersonshchyna from where he was a sort. When Yakov Butovich moved to Prilepy, he was 28 years old. Later he wrote in the book “Mine of Polkana and Swans“ about Prilepakh with love, emphasizing their beauty.
From history it is known that Prilepami in Russia was called by ancient settlements which “were molded“ on border of principalities. Tula Prilepy entirely crossed ditches and shaft, fortresses which blocked a way to Moscow to the southern nomads.
Only in the 17th century in Prilepakh people began to adjust peaceful life gradually. Here then - that began to be engaged here in horse breeding which was most clear and to close local population. By tradition of horses raised for defense against enemies and use in life, the benefit it was promoted by fine inundated meadows … Yakov Ivanovich without regret left to
military service and was engaged in horse breeding. Butovich went more than once to Europe where it was trained in secrets of development of animal husbandry, paying attention to cultivation of horses. In the 19th century equestrian sport gains distribution in Russia.
Butovich with enthusiasm expanded and reconstructed premises of stud in Prilepakh. Butovich completely “transferred“ the plant in the Kherson province once belonging to his father to Prilepy. Yakov Ivanovich was a person active. He managed to fill up the livestock with “residents of Oryol“, constantly was engaged in selection work, forming qualitative structure of a livestock of horses.
Yakov Butovich along with other konnozavodchik was an opponent of crossing of the Oryol horses with other breeds of the trotters who are especially delivered from America. He repeatedly emphasized correctness of a constitution of “residents of Oryol“, beauty of their forms and endurance. It helped to keep at that time purity of breed of the Oryol trotters. Butovich`s authority among konnozavodchik was high. Despite youth, Yakov Ivanovich was a part of the public head department of a konnozavodstvo, and also became the member of the All-Russian union of konnozavodchik.
On the hippodrome constructed in Prilepakh Butovich liked to organize races which usually passed on the eve of orthodox holidays. The hearing about economy of a konnozavodchik of Butovich was quickly carried on all the district. His Oryol trotters repeatedly became prize-winners of various races and exhibitions in Russia and abroad.
But not only to these Butovich`s hobbies were limited. He one of first-ever created art gallery which was entirely devoted to horses. Yakov Ivanovich was familiar with many artists who liked to be in Prilepakh. They with pleasure at the request of the owner drew his favourites - “Polkanov and Swans“. Butovich`s collection contained several tens pictures and various sculptural works. Besides, Butovich collected photos with the image of horses. Yakov Ivanovich built the building for the museum on the eve of revolutionary revolution in Russia, in 1917.
In 1918 to save plant and gallery from Bolshevist riots, Butovich sends them to free use of the new power. In postrevolutionary time Yakov Ivanovich managed to organize an exhibition of “residents of Oryol“ and even run in Tula. Butovich was in affairs of the extraordinary commission connected with protection of animal husbandry, activity of horse-breeding centers in Russia actively interested. Externally it seemed that he in everything “suited“ Bolsheviks.
However clouds were already condensed over Butovich`s head. The first time he was arrested in 1928 and stayed in prison three years. Again Butovich was arrested in 1937, and then shot.
The plant was soon destroyed, and on its place there was only one stable. But already the task of revival of a horse livestock was set for World War II before workers Prilep. Horses were necessary to the front, collective farms and state farms. According to the indication of the government in 40-50 years of the XX century in Prilepakh began to form school on exchange of experience of work for employees of horse breeding of livestock branch, courses on training of specialists of the leading higher education institutions of agriculture of the country. And only in 1960 returned to economy the former status - the status of stud.
Nowadays Prilepsky horse-breeding center parts four breeds of horses - the Ukrainian riding, Russian heavy trucks, shetlendsky ponies and the Russian trotters brought by crossing of the American breed with residents of Oryol, so hotly well-loved by Yakov Butovich. Today the plant can be proud of well-planned stables, the covered arena with stands, own hippodrome. Pets of plant are well-known in Budapest, Berlin, Helsinki, Stockholm - everywhere where our athletes had to act …
I about the main character of our story again - about Yakov Butovich. Yakov Ivanovich was rehabilitated only in 1989. In 2005 its book “Mine of Polkana and Swans“ was born, in 80 years after it was created. Also the destiny of exhibits of the museum is not less sad. It was reformed more than once, and also transferred from one department to another. Today the remained part of a collection of the Prilepsky museum is at agricultural academy in Moscow.
There passes time, one generation replaces another, but long traditions in Prilepakh are live. Here annually equestrians (local and visitors) on Nikolay and Alexey Dobryninykh, Yakov Butovich`s cup compete.
It means that the plant lives and looks forward with confidence.