Why to plants mulch?
About advantage of a mulchirovaniye have heard a lot many owners of personal plots. But many people underestimate this agrotechnical reception, exclusive by the efficiency and advantage. I hope, personal experience will be more convincing, than appeals from pages of books.
Mulchirovaniye is a cover of the soil between plants in any available way. As a mulch it is possible to use organic chemistry - sheet opad, humus, peat, cones, the crushed bark, the weeded weeds (were not inseminated yet), integumentary materials - sawdust, a cardboard, paper, rags, a film, small stones etc. In a word, everything that is near at hand, if only to cover the earth, not to set up her, poor, to all vicissitudes of life. The grass weeded or mown on a lawn should be slightly dried on air before displaying on beds.
The interesting option partly replacing a traditional mulchirovaniye - pochvopokrovnik. It plants with very superficial root system, capable, quickly expanding, to tighten as a carpet the soil between cultural plants. Of course, they should not compete with the main landings for water and food. But for well accepted trees, bushes, many perennials with powerful roots a zaluzheniye - formation of a superficial vegetable cover - excellent option.
Now in brief about that why it is necessary.
1. The mulch creates ideal for plant roots vozdushno - the water mode. The soil does not dry up even in strong dry - under a mulch is always damp. But also there is enough air there, roots do not choke and do not rot.
2. It follows from this that the mulch allows:
a) not to water (or, in any case, to water much less often);
b) not to loosen.
Loosening after watering is urged to destroy the crust which is formed on a soil surface. And the mulch does it for us - without any our efforts.
3. The mulch helps to fight against weeds. Of course, a layer of sawdust not to overcome a mighty wheat grass. But on the bed exempted from roots of especially harmful and not lethal long-term weeds, the mulch will become a barrier against other undesirable settlers. And to long-term parasites life will complicate. Dense coverings - a film, a cardboard, fabric are especially effective in this plan. Weeds cannot break through to light and perish. And their roots go “on a pro-forage“ to cultural plants.
4. The mulch relieves of redigging. The healthy, not littered with “persistent“ weeds, well structured soil does not need to be dug. And it is even harmful - the structure is broken. Formation is structures - difficult process. In it it is possible to allocate a role of the rotting-through vegetable remains, roots after which in the earth there are cavities - “capillaries“. On their walls moisture is condensed, on them the soil is saturated with oxygen. So it is difficult to overestimate their value. Digging destroys them, the mulch - keeps because under it the soil already remains friable.
By the way, the thick layer of a mulch can turn the zadernenny, grown with weeds piece of the earth into the full-fledged, “breathing“, fertile bed. But it if “does not burn“ - if few years you are able to do without landings on this site. It is necessary to spread out on it very thick layer hay and to leave. The nature will make everything. But if the bed is necessary at once, of course, it is necessary to dig and choose enemy roots. And then - under a mulch!
5. The mulch protects plants and fruits from decay and the other troubles caused by contact with the earth. Strawberry is especially indicative. Judging by the English-language name “straw berry“, in England it was thought up to raise on the beds covered by straw. As for national experience, in Krasnodar Krai I observed the boundless, leaving afar ranks of garden wild strawberry laid by a black film.
6. The mulch from the rotting-through materials serves as food for plants during all vegetative period. It is the prolonged top dressing arriving gradually and long and without additional efforts of the vegetable grower. Certainly, the common sense is necessary. It is not necessary to pour peat on a bed with izvestelyubivy plants. But knowing requirements of a concrete plant, it is easy to pick up for it an optimum mulch or at least to avoid a mistake.
7. The mulch is beautiful. And it is the truth! Whatever advocates of “chernozem“ claimed. Unfortunately, especially there are a lot of such paladins of loosening and weeding among elderly people. And for them it is vital to keep heart and a waist, not to work too much at works which can be avoided at all. For quite some time now the naked brown earth on beds, a subject of pride or envy of my parents, seems to me the ugly, unfortunate sufferer. In a word, tastes differ - they are brought up.
My experience is still limited, I was fond of cultivation of plants recently. But one-year-old saplings of apple-trees, pears and bushes to which I had no opportunity to reach never for all 2 months of an infernal heat of the last summer perfectly survived and shot up. Without any watering - only thanks to a mulch. For pottery plants the mulch is a reduction of frequency of watering several times. It is checked on seedling - in glasses with it I cover the soil with scraps of the usual newspaper.
And in zaokonny boxes of my city apartment all summer curl on a grid and “lianas“ tomato fructify (grades “cherry“, red and yellow). Bushes powerful, and boxes small and small, besides hang on South side of the house where there is no slightest shadow. And if not a layer of expanded clay which filled up the earth between bushes I would water them continuously. With arrival of cold nights I bring boxes to the room, and plants fructify on a window sill for a long time, so far short light day and proximity of cold glass will not convince them to curtail vegetation.
So, the own experience convinced me: those gardeners - gardeners who do not think of a bed without mulch are right. A mulch - the response to requirements of the plants which are violently placed by us in not the most “estestvennoprirodny“ conditions of a personal plot. Navedaytes in the field, in the wood - you will not see the naked earth anywhere.
Cultural plants far left the natural ancestors, changed according to our requirements to them. But they remained plants. As much as possible to satisfy their basic requirements, to provide their legitimate rights - not only our debt. It also our benefit.