How it is correct to write down an e-mail subject?
Personally at me the number of letters grow every day. It becomes harder and harder to rake blockages of letters which considerable part to remove or it is impossible in general (too important), or it is just a pity (and suddenly it is useful?) . And the fact that headings of letters are made Utterly is the main reason of difficulties with orientation in this a lot of messages! Sometimes they in general are absent. In this regard there was a question which is taken out by me in article heading: how it is correct to write down a subject e - mail? So, we will begin...
The subject of the e-mail has to be formulated extremely briefly and clearly. You have only 50 - 60 symbols in which it is required to state a content of the letter. If your addressee is not familiar with you, he for certain will not open the message if the heading accurately does not report him, about what the letter.
Requirements which are imposed to headings on the Internet strongly differ from requirements to headings which write on paper. And it is not surprising, they also are used in a different way. The most important distinctions:
The electronic heading is almost always read out of a message context. For example, the user adjusted the e-mail client so that only headings of letters were downloaded. Or your addressee uses Web - the interface of the e-mail server - practically always show to the user only headings of letters. Being guided on them, he decides - to look at the message or to remove at once. At the same time the server can give the truncated heading, at best, having replaced the termination of a line with dots. Remember! The user should not guess your thoughts, looking at a subject of the letter or it “ stump “!
Now it is representable that the heading nevertheless is removed in some context. It is easy not for all to read the text from the screen as well as to you. Do not forget about it! Besides, the amount of information seen at first sight is rather limited. It does not allow the user to receive enough data from information surrounding heading.
Another matter - “ paper “ information. In magazines or newspapers the heading is organically connected with illustrations, subtitles and all text. All this can be captured a look at once. On the monitor it will be visible much less information. And even these remains of information will be inconvenient to be read. So, most likely, your addressee just will not become “ to break “ eyes will also be removed by the letter, without having read it.
We draw a conclusion: the subject of the letter has to be an independent portion of information, she has to allow the user to understand about what the speech, in the absence of the text of the letter. Naturally, the user can see all e - mail - messages. But you should not count on it - people are too busy to spend time on unclear to them messages.
So, rules of writing of a subject of the letter:
1) Explain to the addressee accurately and clearly about what your letter. And make it in the terminology clear for the ordinary person, but not the Nobel Prize laureate. The heading has to be the supercompact description of contents of the letter.
2) Use neutral language. You should not use a word-play - you can not be understood or, what is even worse, to misunderstand.
3) You should not use different tricks, hoping to force users to click on the reference to learn what contains in the letter. Today`s user too often burned on such “ feints ears “ to download it is unknown that. It is better to give to the user a fair idea at once, of what he will receive. In the press curiosity can force the person to turn the page, but on the Internet it is connected with too big risk.
4) If you write in English, then pass initial articles “ “ and “ “ in a message subject. It will help your addressee to find much quicker your letter in case of need.
5) The word going in a subject the first has to bear the most important information. Begin heading with the name of the company or concept which you consider in the letter.
6) Letters have to contain the accurate and clear description of the sender in the field “ From “. Otherwise the false impression " can be made; spam “ or anonymous message. At the same time do not use a concrete name if your addressee is not familiar with you yet - letters from unknown persons have too every chance to get to a basket.
As a matter of fact - all! Carrying out these simple rules, and to you, and to your users / clients / friends will work much more simply and more pleasantly with mail. I hope that my article will help you with it. Progress!