What do we know about life of insects?
In Great Britain BBC TV channel begin broadcasting new scientifically - the popular series under the name Life In The Undergrowth (Life in an underbrush) devoted to insects.
In several series the audience is had to other world where by means of the most modern television cameras authors could photograph scenes which were still inaccessible for a look of the person. Announcing a release of new documentary series, the British newspaper The Mirror published a selection from 25 curious facts from life of insects:
1. Insects are the first living beings who appeared on Earth, more than 400 million years ago. Since then they endured five mass cataclysms and there were more hardy, than tyrannosaurs.
2. Now in the world there are about 20 thousand species of bees. And to make 500 g of honey, one bee needs to fly 10 million times from a beehive to a flower and back.
3. The female of a cockroach is capable to lay more than two million eggs in a year. Besides, the cockroach can live nine days brainless.
4. The weight of insects who in a year are eaten by all spiders on Earth is more than cumulative weight of all people living on the planet.
5. There are about 35 thousand known species of spiders and all the time new open.
6. Blood of snow scorpions contains antifreeze thanks to what they can maintain temperature up to minus 6 degrees Celsius. However if to take such scorpion in a hand, then he will die.
7. At a male of an ukhovertka two penises, each of which on length exceeds an ukhovertka. These bodies very fragile and easily break, that is why the insect is born with spare.
8. Ants never sleep. In the world almost as much species of ants (8800), how many bird species (9000).
9. Butterflies try taste of food by means of back pads. And color of their wings is created by the tiny blocked scales which reflect light.
10. Cubs of spiders of Amarobia after the birth eat the mother. Some females begin to devour males even during pairing. Thus, the late father becomes food for the posterity.
11. At bees five eyes. Rub in the top part of the head and two in front. The honey bee waves wings with a speed of 11400 times a minute, creating characteristic hum.
12. There are about 400 thousand known species of bugs. The sizes of the largest, a bug - the titan, can reach 17 cm
13. Dragonflies - the most fast-flying insects. Speed of their movement reaches 57 km/h.
14. Larvae “ vitchett “ it is the best of all to eat live. Ten large larvae provide the adult with all proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
15. Insects are the food rich with protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. In Thailand they are considered as a delicacy, fried crickets and a locust are popular there.
16. Natives prepare wood larvae “ vitchett “ dragging them in hot ashes. Thus, they to taste become similar to an omelet.
17. At crickets ears are located on forward legs, besides, it is possible to determine temperature by crickets: for this purpose it is necessary to count the number of chirrings in a minute, to divide into two, then to add nine and again to divide into two. As a result temperature in degrees Celsius will turn out.
18. About a third of all insects are carnivorous and the majority hunt for food, but do not eat drop and waste.
19. Grasshoppers can jump on distance which more than by 40 times exceeds length of their body, and a flea - on distance, in 130 exceeding its length.
20. On the planet on each square mile in manned areas there live more than 26 billion insects. By estimates of scientists, there are 5 - 10 million more types unknown to science. 21. The tiny stinging insects, wood lice, wave wings with an improbable speed of 62760 times a minute.
22. Vladimir Nabokov, author “ Lolita “ personally opened several species of butterflies, in honor of it one of them is called.
23. Domestic flies usually live near places where they were brought, however it became clear that under the influence of wind they can move to distance up to 45 km.
24. The largest moth in the world - Attacus Altas. At wingspan of 30 cm it is often mistakenly taken for a bird.
25. The swarm of a desert locust can consist of 50 billion insects. As each locust can eat the quantity of food equal to its body weight, in day this swarm devours on weight four times more food, than all inhabitants of New - York.