Again to Veliky Novgorod? Walk on the Trade party of
C 19 till September 21, 2009 celebrates Veliky Novgorod 1150 - summer anniversary . This date will be celebrated as a national holiday of the Russian Federation. In Veliky Novgorod there will take place various actions, there will arrive numerous guests, there will be a festivity, concerts, fireworks. Novgorodians love the city and are able to celebrate nice dates.
I was there when celebrated 1140 and 1145 anniversary of the city. As there it was cheerful, joyful! And I will not remember such bright festive evening salute over Volkhov any more, it was not less colourful, than in Moscow for May 9. About the most ancient city of Russia in our magazine it was written repeatedly. About the most important sights it is possible to read articles: What Kremlin in Russia is the most ancient? Whether not to visit to us the place of Novgorod Vecha? You Wish to continue excursion across Veliky Novgorod?
It is possible to tell about Veliky Novgorod infinitely! In honor of anniversary let`s walk on its Trade party which is noteworthy tourists, though it is less visited, than Detinets and Yaroslavovo Dvorishche. The trade party - the right coast of Volkhov , received the name in immemorial times because there Yaroslavov had the Main Bargaining of a dvorishch, and trade people lodged there. Here many ancient churches remained. Walk can be begun from the pedestrian bridge, on Alexander Nevsky Embankment, very silent and green on which there is no traffic. Having reached the main bridge through Volkhov which bears a name A too. Nevsky, we will turn to the right, on the street the Fedorovsky stream. On that part of the street that adjoins the bridge, the small market was placed. The Fedorovsky stream crosses Bolshaya Moskovskaya Street which passes parallel to the embankment through all Trade party, from Yaroslavov Dvorishcha to Antoniyev of the monastery.
On the Fedorovsky stream two ancient temples - on the right Dmitry Solunsky`s church , and at the left Fedor Stratilat`s temple on the Stream which gave the name and to the street and a stream which most part is filled up now draw attention. The single-headed temple of Fedor Stratilat is one of outstanding monuments of the Novgorod architecture, it is constructed in 1360 - 1361 by a posadnik Semyon Andreevich. Inside, though not completely, the wall list which some researchers attribute to Feofan Grek or his pupils - the Novgorod painters remained. On walls it is possible to see separate scenes from life of Saints.
On crossing Big Moscow with Gerasimenko Street - Manitsyna remained one more church of Nikita Muchenik . The church was strongly destroyed, its restoration comes to the end now. Meters in five hundred to the north we will see the remains of ancient earth shaft “ Roundabout city “ once surrounding the Trade party from the North and the West. There two small constructions of the 14th century - remained Kordegardiya`s (rooms for the guard protecting serf gate). From them on the path going along a shaft we will come to Alexander Nevsky Embankment again.
There is a beautiful operating five-domed temple of Saints Boris and Gleb in Carpenters built in 1536 on the place of more ancient church which before that was sorted, but used the base. As well as other Novgorod constructions of the 16th century, Church of Boris and Gleb it is put from a brick. In the temple two floors. In top there are regular church services, the wide wooden ladder, with a canopy upward conducts. And from internal furniture of church the grandeur, there special aura as though you are transferred to many centuries in the past proceeds. Very much I advise to enter there and to feel it. In the first floor various church occasional offices are executed, and for Easter Easter cakes and eggs are consecrated.
The beautiful monument to Alexander Nevsky is on the square near the temple. From here the beautiful view of the left coast of Volkhov with Drama theater of F. M. Dostoyevsky opens. Alexander Nevsky Embankment - the excellent place for walks, flowers on beds please in the summer, there are benches, very purely. The earth shaft and the small, drying-up during a summer time, and in the spring violently spreading small river of the Round, separate Church of Boris and Gleb from Church of St. John the Evangelist in Radokovitsakh . It costs at a confluence Rounds to Volkhov. The church is small, with one dome, it is constructed at the end of the 14th century.
And at once behind church the big Park 30 - the anniversaries of October, limited from the West to Volkhov, begins with the East, and the North - Student`s Bolshaya Moskovskaya Street. In park there is a stadium, on the bank of Volkhov there is a small beach. And in North - the western corner of park, there is a new, four-stars Birch bark hotel - the Oriental carpet . By the way, this hotel was often shown in a TV series “ Carmelite “ as well as many other places of the Trade party. The territory along East side of Bolshaya Moskovskaya Street is a modern inhabited residential district.
We will continue walk from Studencheskaya Street to ancient to Antoniyev to the monastery . Antoniyev the monastery in the 12th century as tells the legend, by Anthony Rimlyanin who at will of God in three days reached on a stone from " is based; Roman countries “ to Novgorod. In a legend it is told: “... its procession byst by the warm sea, from it to the Neva River, and from Neva the rivers to the New lake, from Nova of the lake up the Volkhov River, against the rapids which are not uttered even to Great Nova of the city “. There was it in 1106. And soon Anthony founded the monastery on the place where the stone stuck to the coast. At first the small wooden church for the sake of the Virgin`s Christmas, and nearby a monastery was put. In the monastery stone Church of the Nativity of the Virgin which was constructed in 1117 - 1125 remained. If you come there, then you will be told continuation of a legend of Saint Anthony Rimlyanin. Allegedly in a year after he lodged here, fishermen a network pulled out from Volkhov a barrel which Anthony threw into the sea in Italy. Fishermen did not want to give it a barrel, considering as the production. Then addressed a posadnik, having asked to judge them. Saint Anthony listed all objects which were in it, having proved to those that it belongs to him. On money which Anthony received from sale of those things and stone Church of the Nativity of the Virgin and the monastery was constructed.
Anthony in 1147 died and it was buried in the monastery. The inspector will even show you a stone on which the Saint came, it lies in a temple antechurch. Despite later extensions surrounding a cathedral from three parties it generally keeps the initial forms. In a cathedral the wall list executed in 1125, though strongly spoiled by time remains. The cathedral was a tomb of the Novgorod boyars, archbishops, voivodes and other eminent people. Also in the territory of the monastery the church of the Candlemas of the 16th century from a refectory, treasury cells of XVII and the building of library of the 18th century remained. Also there are remains of an ancient cemetery with stone gravestones.
In 1740 in the monastery the Theological seminary was solemnly open. After revolution it was closed, and since 1918 the Novgorod practical institute of national education transformed later to the State teacher training college was placed here. Since 1993 it became Humanitarian institute in system of the Novgorod state university of Yaroslav the Wise. And behind ancient walls of the former monastery “ grind away at the " studies; young Novgorodians.