Why the wonder-working Georgian icon of the Mother of God esteemed in Russia appeared on the northern Pinega River?
On the high hill near the northern Pinega River approximately in 200 kilometers from Arkhangelsk are stood by the half-ruined Krasnogorsk Bogoroditsky monastery. From the magnificent stone temple remained only erose time and people of a wall. From the ancient semi-erased frescos watch faces of Saints at the stately river. The cross established over the belltower deprived of a spike and adapted for economic needs, reminds that once there was a monastery to which pilgrims were flown down with twist Russia.
The glory to the monastery was brought by two sacred wonder-working icons of the Mother of God, Vladimir and Georgian. Actually, thanks to them the monastery also arose. According to the legend, the prior Kevrolo - Resurrection Monastery of a skhimnik of Varlaam had an ancient list from the Vladimir icon of the Mother of God. In 1603 to Varlaam in a dream there was a vision that it has to hand an icon to the priest Miron who will become the founder of the new monastery on the Black mountain. Through some time to the abbot actually the vdovy priest Miron serving in one of arrivals on the Pinega River came.
Having received an icon and manuals of the aged man, Miron returned to the arrival where the wonder-working image was placed in churches. To bow to the icon curing patients believers also began to come from other arrivals. Vision of the Mother of God which specified the place where it is necessary to transfer an icon was one of recovered. The Black mountain over Pinega was this place. It was specified to the priest in the manuals also by the abbot Varlaam. Efforts of the father Miron on the mountain in 1604 built a cross on which strengthened a wonder-working icon.
The priest Miron accepted monastic tonsured under a name of the celibate priest Makari and began to build the temple which became a basis of the Montenegro monastery on the mountain. For obtaining the construction license it had to make a trip to Moscow. According to other data, it sent the petition with the description of images thanks to which the site was chosen to Moscow. The permission for construction of the monastery was given in 1606 by the tsar Vasily Shuysky. In two years the first small wooden church in honor of the Praise to Blessed Virgin Mary was consecrated, and Makari is appointed the abbot of the created monastery. (A praise to Blessed Virgin Mary - the holiday celebrated on Saturday on the fifth week of the Lent)
in the people claimed At this time opinion that the name of the mountain did not correspond to the fact that on it there is a sacred icon, and the mountain was renamed in Red. Respectively, and the monastery became Krasnogorsk.
In 1629 in the monastery there was one more image of the Mother of God which glory far went out of the Pinezhsky district. Time of creation of this image is unknown when at the end of the 17th century for it did a new silver cope, defined that an icon “ letters ancient Greek or Georgian, a pisana on gold leaf on a dense oak board “.
The icon also actually was from Georgia which considerable part was at that time taken by Persia. The way to the southern countries for the Russian merchants was not a new experience, they carried goods and on the Persian markets. It is curious that the icon called the Mother of God Georgian for very big money was got in Persia by the salesman of the Yaroslavl merchant Egor Lytkin. And to the merchant there was a vision that the salesman is lucky it instead of the Persian goods a sacred icon which it is necessary to deliver to the Krasnogorsk monastery to Pinega.
When the salesman brought an icon from Persia, the merchant Lytkin, having received blessing of the patriarch Filaret, went to a long journey to the North to deliver a shrine to the monastery, unknown for it. It not only brought an icon to Krasnogorye, but also became, speaking to the modern language, the main sponsor of the monastery, allocating the considerable sums for construction of stone church, buying church utensils, icons, books, vestments.
The new icon quickly became especially esteemed not only in Northern lands, but also in general in Russia. From it lists (copies) which dispersed over all country became, being esteemed as wonder-working. Thanks to these lists temples of the Georgian icon of the Mother of God are in many places now. But such temple was built by the first in the Krasnogorsk monastery.
It should be noted that the Georgian icon of the Mother of God was “ traveling “ according to the order of the church authorities it was often taken out to various regions of the country where protection of the Mother of God was required. So, in 1654 the icon stopped distribution of an ulcer by Morava in Moscow. The icon was even carried to Siberia, there was it at the tsar Alexey Mikhaylovich. At the patriarch Nikon annual celebration day of memory of the Georgian icon of the Mother of God began on August 22.
Since the 17th century annually on August 22 two shrines from the Krasnogorsk monastery went to Arkhangelsk, at the end of XIX - the beginning of the XX centuries carried them by special steamship. The way usually took 4 days with stops for church services in all towns and settlements on river banks. In Arkhangelsk icons were met with big solemnity, carried out religious procession, serially exposed them in all tserkva. By this time pilgrims gathered in the city, all - is much easier to reach Arkhangelsk, than Krasnogorye.
But many pilgrims preferred to worship shrines in the monastery. Here not seldom there came high-ranking officials, there were also members of an imperial family. In 1899 the monastery was visited by the son of the emperor Alexander II grand duke Vladimir who was long praying before wonder-working icons.
In the first years of the Soviet power fight against religion began. In the North and in Belomorye active ruin of churches and monasteries began in 1922 when the special provincial commission on withdrawal of values from temples was created. After plunder the Krasnogorsk monastery was closed, its buildings were used for various needs, including for the organization of a children`s shelter and a clinic. What became with wonder-working icons, it is unknown. The probability is high that they were destroyed or are in someone`s private collection now.
Without careful supervision the monastic complex began to collapse. Now in the settlement the Red hill in a good shape from the former monastery buildings are only the brotherly case, in it the comfortable hotel, and wooden monastic barns is equipped, in them will develop the interesting museum of country life. There is no fencing for a long time, and now directly from walls of the destroyed cathedral routes for mountain skiers, snowboarders and the snoutyubist attracting in winter time the mass of vacationers for whom good conditions, including elevators and evening lighting are created begin. In the summer here folklore holidays are spent and very interesting excursions will be organized, including to a sacred source where monks constructed swimming baths in due time, and in karst caves.
The only thing that on the Red mountain remained practically without change, is fantastically beautiful view of a taiga and the Pinega River. Perhaps, over time the monastery will be restored. The visit of the remains of a monastic complex by representatives of regional administration which became frequent recently and church hierarches allows to hope for it.