Temples in St. Petersburg, Blagoveshchensk and Harbin. What the general?
Three temples built at different times in these nice cities were built on the same author`s project which prototype was a Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Borkakh.
That happened in Borkakh
17 - go near the village of Borka (the Zmiyevsky County of the Kharkiv province) occurred October, 1888 crash of the imperial train: from 15 cars escaped only five, 68 people suffered, 21 of them - died.
at the time of crash an imperial family with suite was in the car - the dining room. Explosion dumped it from an embankment, broke a roof, destroyed walls. Fortunately, most of passengers of the car got off with slight injuries and grazes. At the place of crash and happy rescue of an imperial family the temple in Jesus` name of Christ Redeemer of Preslavny Transformation was soon built. The author of the project is the architect Marfeld.
Gutuyevsky church in St. Petersburg was constructed by
In commemoration of wonderful rescue of the Emperor Alexander III with a family over all country a set of temples. The customs officers, exchange artelshchik and port officials living on the Gutuyevsky island in St. Petersburg decided to build one of such temples. The order for the project of the temple was received by the civil engineer V. A. Kosyakov and the engineer B. K. Pravdzik. They imitated the church built in Borkakh.
the New temple was projected when there was one more wonderful event: On April 29, 1891 happily Crown Prince Nikolay Aleksandrovich which was in the Japanese city of Otsa escaped from attempt. The temple on the Gutuyevsky island is decided to be devoted to this event. on April 29, 1899 the metropolitan Anthony together with the lake John of Kronstadt consecrated with
the main side-altar of the temple.
On the website “St. Petersburg. The encyclopedia“ it is possible to read interesting details about Gutuyevsky church. The local manufacturer I. A. Voronin offered on construction and furniture of the temple of 300 thousand rubles. Bells were cast by A. D. Samgin`s plant - they were shown at the World Fair in Chicago. Faience, “under an ivory“, the iconostasis was made by the known Nizhny Novgorod factory of M. A. Kuznetsov. For it the enterprise got a medal at the Parisian exhibition. An image A. M. Postnikov, wall frescos with scenes of life of Christ Redeemer - A.S. Slavtsov wrote, ornaments on a gold background - K. M. Budakov. The carving and gilding were executed by P. S. Abrosimov`s firm, external mosaic inserts - masterful V. A. Frolova.
Brick, the 42nd height, height in closed the temple built in the Moscow style of the 17th century on May 5, 1935 and is given for a warehouse. The last prior archpriest V. V. Medvedsky was shot.
during war got to the building a shell, and it strongly suffered from the fire. Till 1991 the temple was used as a warehouse of manufactured goods. The same year the temple is returned to believers. On a holiday of Bogoyavlenya of 1992 in it the first church service took place. The architect V. P. Vorpulev directed restoration of the temple.
By the way, the project on which the Gutuyevsky church in St. Petersburg is constructed is included in “The architectural encyclopedia of the second half of the 19th century“ of G. V. Baranovsky along with St. Isaac`s Cathedral in St. Petersburg, the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow.
Is sacred - the Troitsk temple in Blagoveshchensk Is sacred
- the Troitsk temple appeared in Blagoveshchensk only thanks to an initiative of the honourable citizen S. S. Shadrin. The native of peasants of the Vologda province with 80 - x years of a century before last he lived in the Amur region, owned the gold mines, plants, was the Blagoveshchensk merchant of the I guild.
… At the end of the 19th century about 40 000 people lived in Blagoveshchensk, public churches were only six. S. S. Shadrin decided to build the new temple on the means and to present it to the city. His desire was supported completely by preosvyashchenny Makari, the Bishop of the Kamchatka, Kuril and Blagoveshchensk diocese, and then and City Council.
took place on May 16, 1896 a ceremony of laying of the temple in honor of the Holy Life-giving Trinity. It was dated for Nicholas II`s crowning and coincided with date of signing of the Aygunsky contract in 1858.
the Temple was under construction according to the same drawings according to which in the same time in St. Petersburg construction of Church of the Epiphany on the Gutuyevsky island came to an end. As drawings to Amur why here the author`s project was used got,
did not manage to be established yet. on February 17, 1902 the temple was consecrated by the bishop Nicodemus (Lateral). As well as Gutuyevsky, Annunciation Church was constructed in style of the Russian Moscow architecture of the 17th century. The general height of a cathedral is 47 meters. Side-altars and a belltower got married tents and gilded onions. On a belltower of a cathedral ten bells were established. The biggest of them - 10 pounds weighing 304 poods, with high content of silver, was acquired by S. S. Shadrin.
Internally space of the temple was octahedral, was lit through 16 windows located under a ten-meter dome in the diameter. Half of the temple was laid out by red and gray stone tiles, windows decorated stained-glass windows, and the iconostasis was pig-iron - it was made the master of plant S. S. Shadrin. The philanthropist spent about 250 000 rubles for construction and furniture of the temple.
After 1917. Sacredly - Trinity Cathedral was closed, and in 1936 blown up. Eyewitnesses of those sad events tell that after the first explosion the dome of the temple rose and in a moment fell by the former place. New explosions followed, but also after them the part of walls remained to stand … Is sacred
- St. Sophia Cathedral in Harbin
… When the Blagoveshchensk militant atheists demanded to arrange in the temple garage, the granary, in Harbin built St. Sophia Cathedral of God`s Knowledge. It was founded by
in March, 1907 as marching church 4 - y East - the Siberian crew. On September 27, 1923 construction of the new building of the temple was begun (on Pier). And it was one more almost exact copy of the temple on the Gutuyevsky island in St. Petersburg!
Height of St. Sophia Cathedral in Harbin of 53,55 m, the area is 721 sq.m, capacity is 2 000 people. Construction of the temple was finished on December 25, 1932
the prior of the temple archpriest Mikhail Yakovlevich Filologov Directed works (1831 -?) . The graduate of the Orenburg seminary was a priest in Orenburg, also the prior of the temple of Saint Innokenti Sibirsky at station Manzhouli managed a farmstead of the Russian spiritual mission, was the chairman of Diocesan council in Harbin.
in St. Sophia Cathedral settles down Today the museum of history and architecture of Harbin.
To be continued
Before revolution the temple Svyatotroitsky in Blagoveshchensk was the most majestic and beautiful in all Far East Russia. Nearly 80 years later after it was barbarous destroyed, in 2009 local authorities made the decision on restoration of the temple. At the beginning of 2010 the corresponding applications were submitted, and the Patriarch of All Russia Kirill blessed restoration of the temple of the Holy Zhivonachalny Trinity in Blagoveshchensk. Now project works are kept, fund raising began.