Some approaches to definition of concept electronic libraries
Now the standard or standardized definition of electronic library does not exist. From a number of the known definitions in a varying degree reflecting a being of this new phenomenon to us the following is represented to the most adequate: the electronic library is the distributed information system allowing to keep reliably and to effectively use diverse collections of electronic documents (the text, graphics, audio, video, etc.) available in a user-friendly look through global data transmission networks.
In the given definition is meant that the electronic library has to provide storage of information in a digital form almost unlimited time, and also expansion of access to unique editions and granting to all to the interested consumers of qualitatively new opportunities of work with large volumes of information. For example, it is possible to refer consecutive, selective or parallel viewing of a set of documents to those; multidimensional search in all volume stored in information given electronic library (including diverse) with use of both formal signs, and lexicon of a natural language; copying of necessary documents or their fragments both on paper, and on modern carriers; creation of own documents and, at last, production of new knowledge. Creation and use of electronic libraries is realized through accumulation, storage, the account and structuring electronic information; the organization of navigation in all information space available through this electronic library; ensuring effective access to it any number of users through telecommunication networks, and also through training of users. The use of the word “library“ as a part of the term “electronic library“ very conditionally (and it is rather figurative) and at all does not mean need to correlate its contents to the contents of the term “library“ enshrined in the Federal law No. 78 - Federal Law “About a Library Science“. Creation of the distributed electronic library means that electronic documents or their collections, available libraries, archives, information centers, publishing houses, the museums and other asset holders, keeping an autonomy, are integrated into the uniform distributed environment, supplementing and mutually enriching each other.
Are known various approaches to definition of the concept “electronic libraries“. Here one of them: the electronic library consists only of digital materials and services and excludes analog materials like videos; all materials are processed and moved via digital devices and networks. Besides there are following definitions: “it is the concentrated set of the digital objects including the text, video, audio along with methods of access and information search, and also choice, the organization and service of their set“.
Also, exists a number of approaches, since what any information resources organized in any way on electronic media understand as EB (databases, text files, sections the Internet etc.) and finishing with consideration only of multimedia and full text resources. Ya. L. Shrayberg as the main approaches to definition of the concept “electronic library“ allocates the following:
of EB is a set of the electronic resources organized by the library principle i.e. on the basis of the famous rules and technologies of traditional library science, including completing, processing, systematization, subject analysis, storage and other processes and technologies including creation of the catalog and spravochno - the search device (certainly, in an electronic form).
of EB is a set of the electronic resources organized in a special way and which do not have relations to library in traditional understanding of this concept.
Having analysed information search results on the global Internet on Digital Library keyword on demand of
[[google. ru/search? hl=ru &lr= &oi=defmore &q=define:Digital+Library], we will allocate to
some more main definitions:
• is library which codes magazines, books and information in a digital format;
• digital libraries can include the materials of references or resources available through a world wide web;
• the integrated set of services for fixing, cataloguing, preservation, search, protection and information search;
• organized set of the knowledge kept in a digital format and available to users via electronic interfaces;
• set of information which is saved in a digital form; the digital library can include documents, images, sounds and information collected from various sources (for example, a continuous flow of images from the weather satellite).
can carry To advantages of electronic libraries that they are capable to provide migration of electronic information in the conditions of continuous development of computer facilities and software, and also advanced service which is available users already now, for example:
• the individual service of users based on “the user profiles“ in which information needs of users are reflected or is available the special system of information search operated by the user and facilitating for it process of making decision on relevance of the document;
• existence of the cooperative infrastructure allowing groups of users to make indexing and an assessment of the documents relating to certain subjects;
• implementation of information search in several languages or inquiries in multilingual databases, the multilingual interface, etc.