How to fight against macro viruses?
to the Author of article - owing to specifics of the work - are necessary to communicate with computer viruses almost daily: to treat the infected files, to eliminate various consequences of destructive action of viruses etc. I dare to hope that experience of it communication it can be useful to readers.
Treatment of the infected files
the easiest way of treatment - start of the anti-virus program. As a rule, the modern antivirus among other modules contains the anti-virus monitor which is constantly loaded into random access memory. In attempt of start or verification of the file infected with a macro virus, the antivirus will try to cure the file (in unsuccessful attempt of treatment - blocks access to it, i.e. will not give it to open or to copy).
It is also possible to use loading emergency the disk containing an antivirus with fresh bases (previously in BIOS needs to establish loading with CD - ROM `and). To load an antivirus, to scan the winchester, the found viruses will be neutralized.
If the antivirus could not cure the file infected with a macro virus (that happens very much and very seldom!), or it is necessary to work temporarily at the personal computer without the established antivirus, or not at hand loading emergency a disk, and the infected document Word and contains valuable information and is necessary as air, - is very effective way of manual treatment.
We keep (without opening!) the document Word in a format. rtf ( of rich text format ), i.e. it is necessary to change extension of the file. doc on. rtf . If you do not display expansions, it is necessary to start Windows Conductor, having opened any folder, for example, having clicked on a badge my computer . Choose the Service menu - Properties of the folder In the opened dialog box of Property of the folder open the Look tab . In the scrolled list Additional parameters remove a tag from the line Hide Expansions for the registered types of files . Press of OK .
Find the file which needs to be cured. Now in its name expansion is displayed. doc . Change expansion in the name of the file. doc on. rtf (text format. rtf will allow to save all necessary information, including the text, drawings, tables; at the same time of VBA - a file superstructure in which macro viruses nest will be cleaned from a program code of a macro virus). There will be prevention of system: After change of expansion of a name of the file this file can be inaccessible. You really want to change expansion? Yes/no . Authorize expansion change, having pressed Yes .
Further it is necessary to remove the infected Normal template . dot (after treatment at start of Word the Normal template . dot will be created anew) and other infected templates *. dot in the following folders (for Windows XP OS ):
1) C: /
2 Documents and Settings/Imya_polzovatelya/Application Data/Microsoft / Templates) C: / Documents and Settings/Imya_polzovatelya/Application Data/Microsoft/Word/STARTUP
3) C: / The Arrangement of Templates Documents and Settings / Imya_polzovatel / Templates
for Windows 98/ME:
1) C: /
2 Windows/Application Data/Microsoft / Templates) C: / WINDOWS/Application Data/Microsoft/Word/STARTUP
we Change extension of the file. rtf on. doc . We establish back a tag to Hide expansions for the registered types of files ( my computer - Service - Properties of the folder - the Look - Additional parameters ): it is necessary in order that you had no inconveniences with renaming of files. We work with the file according to the usual scheme.
Attention! we will remove with
as a result of these actions a macro virus from the infected file and of Word and, but it can remain in other documents Word . Therefore before start of other documents it is necessary to scan system the anti-virus scanner (or to continue manual treatment that is very labor-consuming occupation! ).
How to be protected from macro viruses
1. Use reliable anti-virus programs ( of Panda, Norton, Kaspersky ) with regularly (not less once a week!) the updated bases.
2. Do not rely on the anti-virus monitor: always before copying and opening check the anti-virus scanner all executed files and documents (especially files on diskettes, flash cards, a compact - disks, received on the Internet).
3. Do so-called " more often; backup you store copies of the most valuable information on different carriers (for example, the disks CD - RW, flash cards etc.) .
4. Keep in mind that the ban of start of macroes recommended by some authors (the Service menu - the Macro - Safety - the " dialog box; Safety - " tab; Safety level - Very high - OK ) is a half measure since at the same time start of macroes with standard names is not forbidden ( of FileOpen, FileSave, FileSaveAs, FilePrint, AutoExec ), i.e. there is an opening for macro viruses.
All to you kind!