How to treat the person in a wheelchair?
When last time you saw a wheelchair on the street: month, a year ago? Personally I already do not even remember. Perhaps we in the country have no disabled people? Or they just hide in the apartments, being afraid to seem in public? Alas, the last is the most probable.
What is felt by the person after, for example, amputation of both legs? Of course, it is shock, uncertainty in the future, feeling of impracticality to life. But besides all this, arise shame, the shyness before society, fear to prove to be in such unattractive light... Very strange feelings, isn`t that so? As though the person is guilty of what to him was taken away by extremities.
Nevertheless, reaction of people around very often is the reason of a solitary way of life of the disabled person. Not everyone can maintain on itself(himself) a stare of passersby and a whispering behind the back as if he is not a person, and the green Martian with the antenna on the head. Well, and and there is no wish to speak about various jeers and sneers, unfortunately, there is also it.
Here also it turns out that the person after the hardest physical trauma which split his life on “ to “ and “ after “ it is forced to suffer also from psychological anguish from tactlessness or just ignorance of people in the environment.
By the way, the western countries thought of this problem for a long time. Many companies hold with the workers special seminars concerning the correct relation to “ to people with physical defects “ - such term as it is considered to be that the word " is used; disabled person “ can touch the dignity of the person.
And such intelligent attitude towards people yields fine results. With amputation of legs or a change life is not taken away from the person, and on the contrary - he finds new opportunities for creativity, work, many make families, give birth to children and even set up the Olympic records! Proper response of people around, support of relatives, friends are capable to work really wonders, giving to the person confidence that it is a normal full-fledged member of society.
And, not all people who had a trauma and deprived of mobility are threatened by prospect to carry out all life in a sitting position. At due leaving and a right choice of a method of treatment many have a chance to get on feet. But to achieve this dream, the person should make the real feat: these are the titanic efforts directed to returning to the muscles a former tone, it is determination, belief in the victory, fight against itself, first of all. In such state it is so easy to become isolated on the grief, to become hardened on all “ healthy “ the world also to plunge into a depression …
“ And than I can help? “ - someone will be surprised.
In order that the behavior not to hurt feelings of the person in a wheelchair and to come into benevolent contact, it is necessary to follow only some rules :
1. at the sight of such person do not stop with the eyes which are widely opened from surprise - he sits only in a wheelchair, but not on a flying carpet.
2. should not try to escape or be removed far away - this illness is not infectious.
3. If this person asked you a question, do not answer it is raised by a loud voice, strenuously gesticulating: at the person extremities are injured, and it does not mean that his brain badly functions or he became deaf.
4. Should not talk, having carelessly leaned the elbows on the wheelchair handle - you remember that the person perceives it as continuation of own body.
5. do not talk to the person from - for carriage backs, forcing it to unscrew a neck, it is more difficult for it to turn back, than to you. Better at an opportunity to sit down on a bench or a chair to be with the interlocutor “ in one " plane;.
6. And, of course, if necessary help such people either business, or just kind word, a look, a smile - it is possible, it means to them more, than you think.
Disability - a severe sentence both for the elderly person, and for young. And if physical pain can be muffled at least temporarily medicines, then from painful understanding of the lameness the rescue medicine did not find yet. But we have all necessary means: warm-heartedness, support, understanding, step. Believe, these drugs the person cannot do much harm. And here reciprocal gratitude even if also unexpressed, you by all means feel and, perhaps, even feel on the life - nothing from good is in vain.