Windows: how to optimize the file of pumping?
are A little terminology
• Random access memory . Synonyms : RAM (Random Access Memory) - memory (memory device) with any selection; operational memory device, RAM. At switching off of the computer the data which are stored in the RAM are lost. As a rule, the more the volume of the random access memory installed in the computer, the programs work quicker.
• The file of pumping (swap - file, paging - file) - the file on the hard drive (pagefile. sys; has the Hidden, System attributes), used by Windows for storage of parts of programs and files of the data which are not located in random access memory. As required Windows moves data from the file of pumping to random access memory (for their use with programs) and back (for release of the place for new data). Synonyms : a swap - the file, swapping - the file, the file of virtual memory.
• Virtual memory - set of random access memory and the file of pumping.
• Swapping (swapping) - pumping in random access memory of the missing page of the virtual memory requested by the program.
In case of the error messages caused by shortage of virtual memory it is necessary or to increase the volume of random access memory, or to increase the size of the file of pumping. Windows, as a rule, automatically controls the size of the file of pumping, but if the size is by default insufficient for satisfaction of needs of the user, then it can be changed manually.
How to change the size of the file of pumping
• Windows Vista : Start-up -> the Control panel -> System -> in the menu choose Additional parameters of system at the left ;
- in the opened window of Property of system on a tab In addition - in the section Speed - click the button Parameters …;
- in the opened window speed Parameters open a tab In addition , below in the section Virtual memory click the Change button …;
- in the opened window Virtual memory install the necessary switch: To specify the size (set the initial size and maximum; for increase of productivity establish the initial and maximum size equal), the Size at the choice of system (having entrusted the choice of the size of the file of pumping to an operating system) or Without file of pumping ;
- press the Set button -> OK -> OK -> OK .
• Windows XP : Start-up -> Control -> the Control panel -> System ;
- in the opened window of Property of system on a tab In addition - in the section Speed - click the button Parameters ;
- in the opened window speed Parameters open a tab In addition , below in the section Virtual memory click the Change button ;
- in the opened window Virtual memory - above in the section Disk choose a disk where the file of pumping will be located;
- in the section Size of the File of Pumping for the chosen disk install the necessary switch: The special size (set the initial size and maximum; for increase of productivity establish the initial and maximum size equal), the Size at the choice of system (having entrusted the choice of the size of the file of pumping to an operating system) or Without file of pumping ;
- press the Set button -> OK -> OK -> OK .
How to optimize the file of pumping
of Windows actively uses the file of pumping, considerably unloading random access memory of the personal computer. By default (oh this notorious default of Windows!) Microsoft made the file of pumping dynamic , i.e. the size of the file changes automatically, depending on the current requirement of an operating system though the best productivity of system is reached at static the file (the size of the file of pumping is not required to change every time, its fragmentation disappears).
If at you it is established two (or more) the hard drive, it is recommended to transfer the file of pumping from a disk where you installed Windows, on other hard drive.
If you have one hard drive, create on it the additional section with a capacity of 1-2 GB. Convert it into FAT32. Execute defragmentation of this section. Specify an arrangement of the file of pumping on this section. Use all volume of this section only for the file of pumping.
1. Data reading is carried out from random access memory much quicker, than from the hard drive therefore increase in volume of the RAM, than increase in the size of the file of pumping is more preferable to increase in speed of the personal computer.
2. Windows sets the initial minimum size of the file of pumping equal to volume of the established random access memory plus 300 MB, and the maximum size surpasses computer RAM volume three times.
3. As a rule, after increase in the size of the file of pumping reset is not required, but in case of reduction - the personal computer should be rebooted that changes came into force.
4. The Microsoft corporation does not recommend to disconnect and delete the file of pumping. But if you use XP and volume of random access memory of your personal computer exceeds 1 GB, you can disconnect without serious consequences the file of pumping (it is reversible process - at any time you can include use of the file of pumping again if seems to you that the system began to work worse).
If you use Vista, it is not recommended to disconnect the file of pumping since at start of the " OS resource-intensive applications; will get “ you messages about “ to shortage of virtual memory “. In such cases, instead of a blackout, it is possible to reduce the size of the file of pumping to 300-500 MB.]