Windows: System recovery - to disconnect or not?
as a part of Windows XP and Vista OS are very useful utility of System Restore - System recovery (the disk address: The Windows XP - / WINDOWS/system32/Restore/rstrui. exe; Vista - / Windows/System32/rstrui. exe).
System recovery - the OS component by means of which at emergence of problems it is possible to restore the previous condition of the computer without loss of personal files of users. The system recovery observes changes of system and some applications files and automatically creates easily identified restoration points.
Points of restoration are created daily, and also during essential system events (for example, installation of the application or drivers). The user also has an opportunity at any time to create the called restoration points.
For start of the utility press Start-up -> Programs -> Standard -> Office -> System recovery -> the System recovery window will open . Here the following tasks are available:
- Restoration of earlier condition of the computer (it is chosen by default);
- to Create a restoration point ;
- to Cancel the last restoration (the option is available only after restoration performance);
- to set system recovery parameters.
How to set system recovery parameters
Click the link system recovery Parameters (in the left half of the System recovery window ), the System recovery tab windows of Property of system will open .
can change Here a condition of system recovery (for example, to disconnect system recovery on some or on all disks), and also to change the amount of restoration of disk space, available to reservation of points. For this purpose as click of the left button of a mouse it is necessary to choose the necessary disk and to press the button Parameters …
In the opened window disk Parameters can establish by movement of the toddler the size of the disk space reserved for system recovery.
What volume of disk space to reserve under restoration points?
By default the system reserves 12% of its volume for each disk. Since modern disks have very large volume, OS by default reserves too much place. It is quite enough to reserve for system of restoration the volume of disk space within 1 GB (be guided by the volume of your disk and by that how many restoration points are necessary for you: for example, if you like to experiment often with system settings, reserve for restoration points more place).
How to create a restoration point manually
In a dialog box of the program choose Creation of a point of restoration and press the button Further ;
- in the field the Description of a control point of restoration enter a name of this point (The master of system recovery will automatically add date and time of its creation to a restoration point name);
- press the Create button .
Creation of own point of restoration can be useful at modification which can lead to unstable work of OS, and also for preservation of settings of a successful configuration of system.
How to restore system
If after any changes the system works unstably, start System recovery (sometimes it manages to be made only in Safe mode , having pressed the F8 key at reset);
- install the switch Restoration of earlier condition of the computer , press Further ;
- choose the closest point of restoration, having allocated in a calendar day when OS worked without problems, press Further ;
- confirm the choice of a point of restoration, having pressed Further (save all open files and close programs before restoration operation start);
- after confirmation of the made choice will begin restoration process;
- if restoration is executed successfully, the corresponding message will appear (if restoration does not manage to be executed, the screen will be removed Restoration is not complete , at the same time the condition of the computer does not change).
1. The system recovery begins work at the first start of the personal computer after completion of installation of an operating system.
2. The system recovery requires not less than 200 MB (in Vista - not less than 300 MB) disk space.
3. The system recovery does not influence and does not change personal files of data.
4. If the user does not like a condition of OS after restoration, then it is possible to cancel restoration and to choose other point of restoration. All successful operations of restoration are reversible. All unsuccessful operations of updating are automatically cancelled by the program of system recovery.
5. If any program was installed after creation of a point of restoration, this program will not work after restoration. The files of data created by the program are not lost. However for opening of these files (for start of the program) it will be necessary to reinstall the program.
6. Means of system recovery does not replace process of an uninstallyation of the program. For full removal of files of the program it is necessary to remove the program, using the Installation component and removal of programs (or using the alternative program of removal of programs).
7. In the absence of an empty seat on a disk the program of system recovery becomes inactive. At allocation of the sufficient place on a disk the program of system recovery will be automatically started, but all points of restoration will be lost.
8. When the System recovery program is disconnected for a disk or the section, all points of restoration kept for this disk or the section will be removed.
9. The actual number of the kept points of restoration depends on activity of use of the personal computer, the size of the hard drive (or the section size) and the number of the place on the hard drive allocated for storage of points of restoration.
10. It is not recommended to disconnect System recovery for a drive on which OS since System Restore is a good supportive application at emergence of various problems with OS is installed.
11. If the system and the applied software at you are established on a disk C:/, that system recovery on other disks can be disconnected.]