How to choose a car seat for the kid?Since January 1, 2007 in Traffic regulations came into force the next changes. The requirement of acquisition of the automobile children`s holding devices became one of the major: autocradles, boosters, chairs.
As to careful parents to decide on the choice of this or that type of the holding device for the little traveler?
For what car seats are necessary?
Numerous tests prove that during accident regular seat belts and standard automobile chairs will not be able to protect the person below 135 cm in height. In case of road accident the child slips out from - under a belt, and the safety cushion designed taking into account protection
of the fastened adult passenger can injure and even to kill the kid. At travel of the child on hands at the adult the probability of mutilations at collision of cars is high. So, at arrival of the vehicle at a speed of 60 km/h the weight of any passenger increases by an obstacle almost by 10 times, and it is almost impossible to hold the child.
statistically in car accidents children sustain injuries and perish twice more often than the cyclists and pedestrians who are not protected by body iron: 15 percent of children perish, and 35 percent sustain the hardest injuries. The children`s automobile chair helps to avoid 95 percent of injuries and mutilations in such situations. However the car seat (or other holding device) only can guarantee safety of children when it is picked correctly up and established. Now counters of real and virtual shops please with quantity various on modification and a style of automobile chairs. Let`s understand variety of the so-called children`s holding devices.
Types of car seats
According to requirements imposed by the standard, the children`s holding device in case of collision or sharp braking of the vehicle has to reduce danger of wound of the child who is in the holding device by restriction of mobility of his body.
the Children`s holding devices are subdivided into five weight groups (hereinafter for convenience of reading marking on a product original terms according to the international standard are provided):
group 0 (group 0) - for children weighing less than 10 kg;
group 0+ (group 0+) - for children weighing less than 13 kg;
group I (group I) - for children weighing 9-18 kg;
group II (group II) - for children weighing 15-25 kg;
group III (group III) - for children weighing 22-36 kg.
Depending on options of fastening four categories of the children`s holding devices exist:
1) universal (universal) - is established on
the majority of seats of vehicles only by means of a seat belt for adults;
2) limited (restricted) - is established on the seats specified by the manufacturer of the children`s holding device or the vehicle in concrete types of vehicles only by means of a seat belt for adults;
3) semi-universal (semi - universal) - is established on the majority of seats of vehicles by means of the lower and additional fastenings;
4) special (specific vechicle) - is established on all places for sitting, and also in a luggage compartment of salon of concrete types of vehicles as the built-in children`s holding devices or by means of the fastenings released by manufacturer of the vehicle or the children`s holding device.
Use of the children`s holding devices (except special category) is allowed on front and back seats if devices establish according to the instruction of manufacturer.
the Children`s holding devices happen two designs:
- of integral (integral class) - includes a set of straps or flexible elements with a buckle, the device of regulation, fastening and in certain cases an additional seat and/or the shock-proof screen;
- not c elny (non - integral class) - includes the partial holding device which when using in combination with the seat belt for adults passing around the child`s trunk, or the holding device in which there is a child forms the children`s holding device in a set. Not integral device can be executed in the form of an elastic pillow (booster cushion) and as option, the directing strap (guide strap). The directing strap holds a humeral strap of a seat belt for adults in situation which allows its use for children and is regulated by means of the device moved up or down a strap depending on location of a shoulder. Directing strap will help to solve a problem of safety of the large child.
On each children`s holding device conforming to the standard the marking including the following designations is put down on the visible and readily available place:
category of the holding device (universal, limited, semi-universal or special);
group on weight for which the device is intended (0-10 kg; 0-13 kg; 0-18 kg; 0-25 kg; 0-36 kg; 9-18 kg; 9-25 kg; 9-36 kg; 15-25 kg; 15-36 kg; 22-36 kg);
a letter Y for the device with the strap passing between legs;
a letter S for the special holding device.
We hope that the provided information will help you to make a right choice and will save life and health of the beloved child in an extreme situation.