What products can be used even spoiledthe Author: Lev Pukhlykh of
Some products can be rescued even in the presence of signs “ mouldiness “; on the contrary, to use others, having even cut off a mold, it is impossible at all.
All of us know that a mold - it is bad. That if to eat the become green roll or sausage with a musty smell, it is possible to obtain serious poisoning, and everything that smells of a kislyatinka, it is necessary to throw out urgently in a garbage can.
And nevertheless, many do not shun the become permeated with the smell sausage, neither long loafs with green spots, nor even sour sour cream. And are live and are even healthy! Why? Matter is not that at one in the refrigerator the poisonous mold, and at others - edible " grows; noble “. Just some products can really be rescued even in the presence of signs “ mouldiness “; on the contrary, to use others, having even cut off a mold, it is impossible at all.
How to distinguish one from others and how exactly to rescue food from a mold? There are several recommendations which the American Service on supervision of safety of foodstuff (FSIS) makes.
- to throw out sausages, boiled sausages. If the small white raid in itself does not frighten off you from a favourite sausage, know: under it can disappear which - that it is more terrible than a simple mold. For example, bacteria which breed much quicker than the called fungus and besides are not visible with the naked eye. And, having just removed a white film from a product surface, you will not get rid of bacteria.
Dry-cured sausage, air-dried meat - to leave. To the most widespread grade of dry-cured sausage - a salami - the mold is added initially, for giving of special taste and aroma. So a small layer of a whitish raid for this sausage - absolutely normal phenomenon. The same concerns some home-made air-dried meat, ham, etc. However, from them the raid is better - to clean all - and the rest can be put on sandwiches quietly.
- to throw out bacon. Bacon is exposed to the minimum processing, and therefore keeps a lot of moisture which the mold adores. If the fungus appeared on visible part of meat, most likely, it “ ate it “ and inside, so is it it is impossible.
Ham, carbonade, brisket - to throw out. Some grades of ham practically do not move to a fungus from - for the high content of salt (it, by the way, rescues them from bacterial infection). But nevertheless, separate types of a mold quite comfortably feel also in such adverse environment especially as similar products differ in the humidity which is quite suitable for this purpose.
Firm cheeses - to leave dairy products
. From cheddar or parmesan the mold should be cut off together with a centimetric layer of cheese - it is a pity, of course, but it, anyway, is better, than to throw out to time all piece. And after operation on removal cheese should be packed into a new layer of food wrap (fresh paper, a package, etc.) and carefully to wash up a knife and a chopping board not to bring disputes of a mold on other products.
Cheeses with a mold - a controversial issue. Like brie and Camembert, it is better to throw out soft cheeses at once. The benefit, is very easy to distinguish by them a noble mold from poisonous - both on color, and according to the invoice.
And here firmer grades (gorgonzola, for example) still can be rescued. Cut out a mold speck from a cheese surface - and enjoy only that fungus which was placed there by the producer.
- to throw out cheese cuttings, grated cheese, cheese for burgers.
Yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream - to throw out. Even the small green speck says that it is necessary to say goodbye to all jar.
- to throw out hot dishes
of Baked pudding. As well as in a case with yogurt, the mold on a surface of such dish can be only an iceberg top. Even if your " baked pudding; it is collected “ from several products (for example, from below potatoes layer, is farther meat, and then vegetables and sauce), do not try to rescue any of them. Close contact and high humidity do infection almost inevitable.
- to throw out macaroni. In fact macaroni is the flour which is stuck together by eggs and soaked in water. What can be better for a fungus, hungry to moisture? And he can hide in the test, even without being shown on its surface, and the smell will be the only sign of perversity. Generally, saw and scented a mold - down with all pan; also do not forget to vydrait it properly.
- to throw out meat and bird dishes. The mold layer besides can speak about existence of bacteria which propagate in meat much quicker than the fungus. And they - that threaten much with the worst food poisoning or intestinal infections - so that how it was a pity for festive roast or a chicken a grill - health all - is more expensive.
Soft fruit, vegetables, berries - to throw out fruit, vegetables. Of course, the begun to rot cheesecake hunters will be a little. But here, say, orange or banana which has a mold “ sits “ only on a peel - it is possible to eat it or not? Is not necessary better. Because the fungus can be also in pulp of fruit where it is not visible, but it does not mean that it is absent.
Also wax firm fruit - to leave. With carrots, cabbage or, for example, sweet pepper, a mold to cope already not so easily - it is too rigid and dry. Cut off the impaired a little site and safely eat remained.
Nuts, grain, bean - to throw out. On nuts, and especially on a peanut, one of the most poisonous types of a mold likes to grow. And, despite the visible fortress of this product, a consistence its, actually, very soft - at the expense of the high content of vegetable fats. Generally, the fungus can hide also in the nutlets healthy by sight.
- to throw out jam and jam. Fruit canned food, thanks to the content of lemon acid or other preservatives is, as a rule, reliably protected from pathogenic bacteria. But here the mold is not so susceptible to these substances at all therefore it can reach with ease your sweets and, as well as in any other soft product, will extend there quickly and imperceptibly.
to Throw out. Bakery products grow mouldy most quicker, at the same time the fungus can not have any external manifestations even. If green spots appeared on one half of long loaf, do not try to cut off a crust or to use the second half: the mold is and there, just you do not see it.